8.8 bolt washers for steels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have just installed some 203x203x46 kg steels beams for my loft which require bolting together as beam to beam connections (not splices) with 8.8 bolts, the steel company has only supplied one washer per nut and bolt, which goes the nut side, my concern is the bolt head side - not having a washer - why would they not have supplied one for that ? must I assume that is normal practice.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
In most situations, washers are used to spread the load, and in your situation they can allow the nut to tighten fully without digging into the steel - as its usually the nut that is turned when tightening.
By all means use a washer at both ends if you wish!
John :)

Thanks, a simple BZP washer ?

I'm being pedantic I'm sure, most technical diagrams dont include a washer bolt side, just seems curious, and maybe there is a specific reason why not, cant believe a steel company supplying the steels and nuts and bolts wouldn't send washers for the bolt side just to save money ?

To be fair, a steel of this section doesn't need washers to spread the load, but the one under the nut will help make the rotation easier.
BZP washers are fine.
John :)

Sponsored Links
I re-asked the steel company and they said that 'no washer Bolt side' was practice - so have followed there advice, thanks for the replies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back