8 downlights 1 switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
I have 8 mains voltage downlights that I want to connect to a single switch.
I've seen this question before on this forum and the answer was to loop them. I'm guessing this means take the power into the first light then out of the first light into the second one, etc.
If this is correct, I can't do that because there isn't enough room for 2 wires to go in to the back of each downlight.
Is there another way to wire this because putting all 8 cables into a 30A junction box doesn't leave much room!

Thank you very much for all your help.
Kindest regards,
Damian

Sponsored Links
I think you would be best to wire in parallel, so that if 1 bulb fails the rest will still work.

Why not try a choc block strip, using little wires to spread the lives/neutrals across each screw position.

Does that make sense ?

Alan

Yeah I think that makes sense.
Is there another type of junction box you can get that has more screw positions for each terminal?....something like you get in a standard ceiling rose.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the link Al-Glasgow. I'm not even sure I need a 1-in-8-out, I'm just looking for a junction box that has 3x4 terminals...3 separate terminals (for L,N & E) each with 4 screw connections so I only need to put 2 cables in each one rather than 8. Even something like 3x2 would be better than the 3x1 30A box I have found up to now....

Whatever you choose the terminations must be enclosed (not wrapped in insulating tape)

get a long strip of terminal block, bring the incoming cables into one side and use the other side to link the ways over.

and ofc put it in a suitable enclosure.

damiantaylor said:
I'm just looking for a junction box that has 3x4 terminals...3 separate terminals (for L,N & E) each with 4 screw connections so I only need to put 2 cables in each one rather than 8.

B&Q, Wickes, Homebase, small hardware retailer, builders merchants, every online electrical supplier . . . . need i go on? :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back