8 x 4 Sheets - On roof rack - Load stops any good?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Have a transit connect van with a rhino rack on it will take 8 x 4 sheets but always not sure about tie / clamping them down properly. I have seen these load stops, but just cant see how these would securely hold ply sheets down does anyone else use them with success? Whats the best way to do it.....

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
I use a trailer. No roof racks on my van as I don't like them.
They cause wind drag and noise and ultimately the van is damaged lifting stuff on and off.
Never mind over loading.

Some of the other guys use them. Seen one with about 6 sheets on the roof and he drove off unsecured.
The lot went over the wind screen out across a road junction where he had braked to stop.

I failed to see how the load stops would stop the sheet goods from lifting up.....that was my main jist of the post just wondering if anyone rates these load stops.

The actual roof rack is great has a roller on the back etc.....but I struggle to have confidence securing sheet goods on the rack.

Last edited:
I use the small ratchet straps to secure plywood on roof racks. Works well.
I'll usually wrap the tail round the front of the sheets to ensure they don't go sailing over the wind screen.

Sponsored Links
I have a roof rack on my Doblo van which has load stops. I load the 8x4 sheets onto the rack over the rear roller and then slide them forward to the stops.
A couple of straps are then put over the top to hold them down.
I believe the purpose of the load stops is just to stop the boards escaping over the bonnet if you have to brake hard, they aren't to hold the boards down.
Perhaps a picture of the ones you are thinking of may help?

imgres

rals5-600x600.jpg

rhino-modular-roof-rack-ford-transit-connect-2002-lwb-high-roof-l2-h2-twin-doors-500x500.jpg

This is what I thought, I couldn't really see them doing a great deal (so what is the actual point of them) , only the straps seem a practical and effective solution, although I do find this can damage the edge of the boards.

My load stops are metal and bolt onto the side rails of my roof rack (can't find a picture of them at the moment).
The load stops are not intended to be used to secure the load on their own, they are an extra safety measure.
The straps, as you say, hold the load down and the load stops are not meant to replace those, they are to be used in addition.
The load stops help retain the sheets on the roof when you brake hard, especially if the sheets are a bit slippery when the middle ones in a stack have been known to slide out from between the others.
I do find it means I don't have to ratchet the straps down quite so hard, which means less chance of damaging the board edges.
In other words..... "belt and braces" = "stop and straps"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back