8 year old turbomax. Replace or repair?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Turbomax plus boiler fitted in the garage which really is in the wrong place. It works ok, but make noises when swapping between DHW and CH. Changed the divertor valve and looked at most other things, now looking at the pcb which was new along with other parts ablout 2 years ago.
My question. Should i buy the parts to repair this 8 year old boiler. or bite the bullet and replace it and move to a more convenient place?

Sponsored Links
If you leave it where it is then repair it.

If you really want to move it then replace it ;)

if you got someone in to properly diagnose the fault, then you wouldn't have to keep wasting money on unecessary repairs. Turbomax's are excellent boilers, especially the older VUW type. Properly installed and maintained there's no reason why it couldn't last 20years, which can't often be said for alot of combis.

i am starting to wonder if it may not be installed properly. Found various problems with the pipework etc. Pipes run miles throught the house into the garage which cant really be the economical. Kitchen sink is miles away, so waste litres of water just waiting for the hot to come through.

i think the noise is a pipe banging when the CH stop circulating but cant hear it in any particular room. The divertor changing over is different, that sound seems to amplify through the pipes

Sponsored Links
We had similar problems with one of these boilers. When turning on a hot tap whilst the heating was on, a loud bang came from the boiler.

The Vailant engineer changed the diverter. This fixed it for 18 months, but it started again. The 2nd Vailant engineer changed a bypass and its been OK for a year now - fingers crossed.

Ok a Vailant engineer might cost more than your local Corgi, but the Vailant engineers are working with these boilers all the time and know what to do straight away. Saves money and hassle in the long run.

Ok a Vailant engineer might cost more than your local Corgi, but the Vailant engineers are working with these boilers all the time and know what to do straight away. Saves money and hassle in the long run.

Vaillant engineers yes, but not many proper Vaillant engineers left in Group Service now :rolleyes: :mad:

you be carefull dave they will be calling you names again at there meetings :LOL:

thanks for that, did have the same idea about the bypass.
Anyway, spent 2.5 hours on the phone to vaillant! finally spoke to an engineer. He recomended i changed the PCB, something about the newer boards are a different voltage for the diverter causing it to shut too quickly!
Might get a bypass first though. Much cheaper!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back