Recommend a Replacement for a Turbomax 824E ?

I appreciate the time you're spending on this.

I've got someone coming in the morning to quote on installing a replacement boiler .
I might try if he's amenable to fixing this one .

Examined that schraeder and miniscule bubbles are very slowly escaping . But tiny air there and small trickles from the PRV must all add up negatively hey ?

I'll see what happens on the morrow.

My many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Just ring the vaillant fixed price line, as much as I hate independents losing work I agree with 831 bunny on this one, pay the £290 they will change any parts needed and give u 1 year warranty on the whole unit. U can pay monthly if u want

If you're only there for 4 years, stick with the Turbo. I've got a ten year old one, and will keep it as long as possible. Better than most of the modern boilers that are out there. Definitely better than a lot of Vaillant's recent output. Your boiler only has a couple of cheap, simple faults. Follow the advice on here and you will get your boiler working and save on an unnecessary replacement.

From the sound of your posts you do have a very simple and relatively cheap repair that will give you a perfectly functional boiler that will see you through till you move.

You need a new schrader core
The expansion vessel recharging in the correct way and
a new pressure relief valve.

About an hours labour but lets say 2 for arguments sake £120 - 200 (£60 - £100 for the hour)
Parts I'll be generous and say £40

Now I can't promise that those are all the faults without checking the boiler properly but from your descriptions it sounds very likely.

Boiler is now fixed for at the very most £240 rather than the £1000's you will be spending on a new boiler.

You will still have service costs every year regardless so that wont change but now you have a couple of grand still in your pocket to cover any other eventualities or a nice couple of holidays instead!!

Find yourself a good engineer in your area. Shame I don't do Guilford but I'm sure there are guys on here that will cover your area if you need.

Jon

Sponsored Links
Well this is encouraging although I won't have a couple of grand in my pocket as I'm only starting with about £440 so far .

After reading this I watched a video about taking the PRV apart and giving it a good clean .
Or I mean unscrewing the cap off it and cleaning the area of the pressure plate .

It looks simple . Is that something I can do if I release all the water first ( and turn it off ) ?

Well ....... I had a guy turn up on time this morning to look and quote for total replacement .

But he loves Vaillants and asked why I would want to replace it ! Just repair it . As you have been saying .

And he's doing it !!! Ordered a Plate Heat Exchanger and also found that the Control Knob for the taps water was broken so it couldn't be turned up or down . It could be operated from the back . Just a broken knob.

Plans to run some Chemical cleaner and service the whole thing - especially the PRV.
Coming back tomorrow to do the work !!!!!

Looks like I have found a brilliant independent plumber .

I will report back .

And thank you everyone who took time on this Thread .

tm

Good news, let us know how you get on tomorrow. Its always nice to hear the end of a problem and it helps out others that may search your particular problem.

Jon

If you've got a dirty system, think about getting him to fit a system filter - whether you decide to repair or replace. Something like the Magnaclean Pro 2. The fact that he's doing the plate suggests corrosion debris is circulating in your system. Make sure he also puts a bottle of corrosion inhibitor (Fernox, Sentinel, etc) in the system too.

Thank you Whitespirit .

I'll show him your message .

And WS ...... I'm not sure that ' apathy ' is a virtue . Not sure at all about that one.

And WS ...... I'm not sure that ' apathy ' is a virtue . Not sure at all about that one.

I'm just quoting some bloke called Plato. ;)

Though it's as apt today, with all that's going on in Europe right now, as when he originally penned it.

Someone also amusingly once said "Fight apathy. Or don't bother".

You were particularly lucky because many installers are not very clued up about repairing boilers.

Also if they were to turn down a £2000 job to do you a favour and get perhaps £200 that takes a very honest person ( just like me ).

Tony

When I did all the numbers I knew I couldn't afford to replace the boiler . And then one or two guys on here spoke about getting a fixed-price repair .

I thought I'd go ahead with the quote but kind of ask whether the firm could do a repair instead - but he was enthusiastic about saving the Vaillant .

He did say he was a bit mad to be talking himself out of a bigger job .... but I told him he wasn't talking himself out of a job at all because I didn't look able to afford that bigger job .
But yes .... after 2 useless plumbers I may have been extremely lucky here .

We will see .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back