8x6 shed base and foundation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have ordered an 8x6' wooden shed and need to sort a base and/or foundation

The ground it's going on is pretty soft soil and I'm not sure whether to build a base from 4x4s and some metal sleeper stakes or try and lay some paving slabs. This (https://www.wickes.co.uk/Blue-Circle-Ready-To-Use-Slablayer---20kg/p/153707) ready mixed stuff looks like it only needs 25mm depth and can go directly on soil without a need for hardcore. Would either of these be ok? And if I did lay slabs would I still need a wooden frame or would the shed bearers rest directly on the pavers?

Sponsored Links
Council (50mm) pavers straight on soil will do for a shed (unless you're putting a massive lathe or something similar in there).
Depends on the shed. The bearers will obviously be prone to rotting (cos sat on damp pavers), there's no harm in putting a sacrificial framework down first (pressure treated slating battens would do).

As above. I just used patio stones on a bed of dry sand/cement mix for my base. Make sure you put guttering on it as the water splash from the roof will damage the bottom 6” as well as the base.

Council (50mm) pavers straight on soil will do for a shed (unless you're putting a massive lathe or something similar in there).
Depends on the shed. The bearers will obviously be prone to rotting (cos sat on damp pavers), there's no harm in putting a sacrificial framework down first (pressure treated slating battens would do).
It’s going to be garden tools, bikes and some boxes so nothing major.
Do they need to be 50mm thick patio stones if there’s no sand/cement being used? Struggling to find ones that thick but lots of 38mm

Sponsored Links
As above. I just used patio stones on a bed of dry sand/cement mix for my base. Make sure you put guttering on it as the water splash from the roof will damage the bottom 6” as well as the base.
How thick were your patio stones? I thought the ready mixed stuff would be easier for me but sounds similar to what I was planning.
Planning on guttering with another water butt for these dry summers we’re having

Check your local Freecycle group or Facebook or Gumtree- you'll often find people wanting rid of the 50mm slabs which will help your budget.
Yes if there's constant foot traffic, slabs on soil will become uneven after a couple of years due to the variable loads. Your shed is a fairly fixed load, they'll be fine on soil or a bit of sand for level

How thick were your patio stones? I thought the ready mixed stuff would be easier for me but sounds similar to what I was planning.
Planning on guttering with another water butt for these dry summers we’re having
Just basic ones about an inch thick. Actually, the shed at home is just thin patio slabs on sand only. The one I have at the allotment is on the big thick council paving slabs on a dry sand cement mix but only because I got all that for free!

Plenty of people over the allotment have their slabs straight on the earth.

Thanks everyone for your help, looks like slabs are the way to go. Good shout @oldbutnotdead on checking freebee ads, I've messaged someone today and will keep an eye out and can hopefully pick up a bargain before my shed arrives

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back