Converting shed base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a shed base that looks like it was custom made for 8x6 feet shed from treated wood (2inch depth, 7 inch width around perimeter and half way through, with lead flushing on the wooden corners). Underneath are very uneven concrete slabs, so differently sized wooden legs are in used to make it level overall.

Now I need to put in a 7x5 shed, so what are the options I have? Previously the shed overhang the base an inch or so. Do I have to use smaller base or can I make existing base waterproof somehow?

Sponsored Links
Ideally you would ditch the wooden base and reset/replace the slabs or put in a concrete base, so the shed is more flush with it's surroundings.

You can use the existing wooden base if it is reasonably sound/free from rot, but bear in mind actual measurements for "8x4" sheds are often in millimetres and may be smaller - that should not be a problem if the bearer width around the perimeter is 7" as you say.

You could place a strip of damp proof membrane under the bearers for additional protection.

Blup

I thought about the membrane, but will the floor not be affected by the moisture accumulating on top of the membrane? Its almost guaranteed to trap some water in the area where floor would be pressing on it...

Yes, it will be if it's as you describe.

Blup

Sponsored Links
OK, that sort of rules out that plan.

If I get a ready made wooden base - what can I use to level it on the concrete slabs? Would something like jouplast or shedmate work?

Not come across Jouplast but they look ok provided enough are used to take the overall load.

I have used off cuts off wood or brick in the past.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back