9.5 kw shower on 6mm cable - electrician says it's ok but tripping

If you run the shower off your combi not only will it be cheaper but you may find you also have a better pressure flow.
I wouldn't go back to an electric shower now.

Sponsored Links
Thanks John - I hope that is the case. Although I'm wondering if the fact that it blew a few fuses on the old board suggests something else. I just remembered that when we first moved in (not meaning to drip feed info) the shower fuse had been 'supplemented' with some fuse wire - so perhaps the shower had been causing problems a while back - saying that the fuse had only gone 4 or 5 times in 2 years so not very regularly.
Blowing fuses will generally take even more current than it takes to trip an MCB of the same rating, so you raise an interesting point.

However, I wonder what rating of fuses you are talking about. Although larger were available, fuses in domestic installations commonly went up to 30A, and that really would be too small for even a 9.5 kW shower.

Kind Regards, John

Blowing fuses will generally take even more current than it takes to trip an MCB of the same rating, so you raise an interesting point.

However, I wonder what rating of fuses you are talking about. Although larger were available, fuses in domestic installations commonly went up to 30A, and that really would be too small for even a 9.5 kW shower.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks - yes you're right 30A, well technically 30A + (like the 1m + social distancing equivalent) + being the length of fuse wire added alongside the fuse in the housing :s

Sponsored Links
Thanks - yes you're right 30A, well technically 30A + (like the 1m + social distancing equivalent) + being the length of fuse wire added alongside the fuse in the housing :s
That statement is slightly confused by your tongue-in-cheek addition, but if it was (only :) ) a 30A fuse, it would not be surprising if a 9.5 kW shower sometimes blew one of those after a while - so that might be a red herring in relation to your experiences with a 40A MCB!

Kind Regards, John

That statement is slightly confused by your tongue-in-cheek addition, but if it was (only :) ) a 30A fuse, it would not be surprising if a 9.5 kW shower sometimes blew one of those after a while - so that might be a red herring in relation to your experiences with a 40A MCB!

Kind Regards, John

Sorry for the confusion - thanks that's very helpful. Yes so I'd expect a 30A to blow but not a 40A - Hopefully the electrician can shed some light...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back