RCD Keeps tripping, may be 8.5 kW Shower?

My tenant actually told me that the BG engineer didn't try anything or switch anything on.

Anyway, after extensive testing we've figured the problem out. The cable going from the ceiling switch does not go directly to the shower. The cable is actually 10 sq mm cross section and fine.

For some reason only known to the people who put the extention on the flat back in the 70's, there is some sort of junction between the shower cable and the ceiling switch cable.

It's the junction that is causing the intermittent fault. When we tested the cable going to the shower it was ocasionally showing a short. I have professionals coming to remedy the problem this morning.

Of course none of this would be solved by the BG engineers solution of replacing the fusebox.

One question I have though - is the Wylex 16th edition fusebox not up to current standards for residential or use by tennants? Do I legally have to get this replaced? Or is the BG engineer talking rubbish?

Dan

Sponsored Links
I have a gas and electricity inspection carried out every year as I'm supposed to. This is why I was suprised at the BG engineers comment.

I did think that these regulations are not retrospective, but I now have to reassure my tennant after the BG engineer has him convinced otherwise.

Thanks

Dan

Sponsored Links
I have a gas and electricity inspection carried out every year as I'm supposed to.

You might like to consider the value of that if that is being done by BG.

BTW You don't need an annual electrical inspection of the installation. Portable Appliances, maybe, but no the installation itsellf.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back