Shower keeps tripping the fusebox

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A few weeks ago our shower was tripping out the fusebox. The shower would run for around 7 minutes then trip. The fusebox was humming too.

Replaced the shower, still tripped.
Got electrician in who checked fusebox, shower, wiring and shower cord switch.

He said it was the shower cord switch, it was getting hot, scorch mark on N terminal and so replaced it.

Two weeks and now it's tripping again.
Very frustrating.
I had a quick look in the shower cord switch, saw nothing obvious but didn't dare mess. Noticed no sheathing on the Earth terminals.

Can anyone please shine some light on what may be up.

The shower is a Gainsborough 8.5W, electrician said cabling was correct size.

Sponsored Links
What is actually tripping, RCD, MCB, or RCBO? What size is the trip device in amps?

NB. Replacing things without knowing if they are faulty is a waste of money and time.

40A RCD. The consumer unit itself is very old but electrian checked it out with multimeter and said it was ok.

One thing i remember him doing was shower cord was off but he was still getting a current reading, it was very low but that's how he initially concluded the issue was the shower cord switch. Current leakage?

Yeah i felt a right idiot replacing the shower before getting anything checked.

Sponsored Links
What do you know about the qualifications and experience of this person?

How did you select them?

He's a qualified electrician does work for a family friend who is a registered boiler / central heating fitter who fit my central heating.

Do you mean he is a member of a Competent Person Scheme? Which one? What level is he?

Some photos of the shower switch, cabling, consumer unit, MCB and RCD would help.

Thing is, the iso was replaced and it was good for two weeks. Very odd.
Not odd at all if, as you say, it had been getting hot.

As a competent electrician knows, heat damages the copper cable, so just swapping the switch often is followed by a recurrence.

I believe you said the "earth wires" have been left unsleeved. This is not a sign of a competent electrician.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back