90mm shower waste a little slow to drain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Looking for a way to improve drain flow rate for a shower tray. When shower is on full it's really struggling. With the chrome cap on it doesn't drain fast enough and water will fill & spill over sides. Without cap it just about copes.. just.

Was going to fit a water aerator to the shower to reduce output, so that should help (it's quite a powerful shower so can handle a reduction).

The rated flow rate for the waste is 32L/minute. Does the problem lie within pipe work that's been fitted (40mm flexible pipe)?

The flexi pipe connects to the strap boss at a point that's lower than the shower waste outlet by about 50mm, but there is an upward slant to the pipe as it goes into the boss and I think there's a slight upwards link where the pipe leaves the shower waste as shown in photo.

Thanks

20190820_024258.jpg 20190819_172948.jpg 20190820_023847.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
There quiet a lot of wrongs in the drain install :cautious:
If you want to keep the shower tray at the same height,run a new 40mm rigid waste pipe to an alternative lower position outside of that room and plug off the strap fitting.

there will always be alternative ways :idea:

Thanks. Yes I'm not really happy with the waste system, it's what was there when I put the new shower & tray in, i think the old shower was a lot weaker with flow rate so it handled it ok so I assumed it would handle this & didn't replace it.

Sponsored Links
Apart from the corrugated pipe being a place for all sorts of crud to collect, due to the dip and rise of the drain line, you have in effect two traps in series. This will severely restrict the flow capability of the system. That being the case you could simply remove the 'guts' that form the trap in the shower outlet.

Good grief, that's one of the worst I've seen in a while. Best idea is to start again!

Yep. I'm not a fan of stuff like that, but as I say it previously worked fine so I kept it in place and was just going to box it in so it looked better, but as it doesn't work with the new tray/shower I'll be replacing it with proper pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back