9mm plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Where is it suitable? I'm boarding & skimming both block and stud walls. I've always used 12mm but a friend uses 9mm. Is there any real difference (apart from 3mm and the cost).

Also, the ceiling joists are on 400mm centres. If using 2.4 x 1.2 x 12mm boards, and the edges don't meet on a joist (ie. there is a 2.4 long length, with the edge 200mm away from a joist) is it okay to have the join between this board and the next not supported by a joist if scrim tape is used?

Sponsored Links
we rarely use 9.5mm plasterboards unless depth restrictions mean 12.5mm are impractical. out of a hundred boards i will maybe use two at 9.5mm.

i would not join plasterboards unsupported. this is not to say you can not join them without a joist, just that the join needs a reinforcement.

you can use either fix a noggin or a 'floating' bridge plate. this involves using a piece of ply as a link between the boards, by screwing through the fixed board into the ply allowing the ply to overlap the join and catch the next board. the next board is then be screwed into the ply.

it merely stiffens the join.

if your joists are at 400mm crs, your joints should all be on joists, that's why they are 400crs and not 450.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back