A bit off topic...info about Rayburn ombudsman?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, sorry its a bit off topic but hoping one of you guys will know...
My elderly neighbors have had a Rayburn installed in their kitchen (just for cooking)
I went in the other day to tell them that when they light their Rayburn it floods our house with smoke....loads of the stuff....
When i entered the kitchen i could smell soot pretty strong....
They said they have been having problems with it and have also been feeling tired and the ladys asma has been realy bad since the fitting....

I am no expert on these things but the flu joints looked awfull, they were loose...
Also the flue extending out of the roof was only clearing the roof by a couple of feet and was also at the lowest point at the back of the house...

They got the company back who extended the flue upwards by a few more feet and then would not leave until she had paid an extra £250 ....Being elderly they just paid up

Is there an ombudsman or regulator for Rayburn installations that they could contact? for some advise?

Many thanks in advance...

Sponsored Links
Thanks Hugh....yes i did make them stop using it......
but after the firm came out again and charged them for doing something i think should of been done in the first place, they said it was safe for use....

I still disagree but i am not an expert......this is why i am trying to find an address for the old couple to go above the firms heads with this....

Thanks for the link...

Sponsored Links
When I was self-employed, I met a couple of customers with solid fuel Rayburns which had become really dangerous.

One customer refused to believe that a 35 year old appliance with obvious cracks in the flue box needed any attention because 'they should last longer than that!'.

Another was a pharmacist [living in a gas area] who similarly would not believe anything was wrong. He had patched it up with insulating tape!Fortunately, his wife insisted on proper repairs to the flue - and a new boiler, which was leaking like a basket.

However, the issue here is the chimney stack between your houses. It is good that your neighbours have stopped using their Rayburn.

In Germany, every boiler and flue has a statutory annual inspection, and you may not install without the inspector's agreement on every job - before you start work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back