Boiler flue exit towards our property ally way- Buying a property

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of buying a property. The legal process is currently going on. Neighbor was doing the two floor extension over their garage when we put the offer for buying the property next to them (left side). We just went for the second viewing recently and noticed that their extension has been completed. We spotted one potential issue too. It seems that our neighbor has installed a horizontal flu like seen in the following image. That wall is on the boundary dividing their and our property. That's our ally way on left which is about 1m wide. I haven't measured it but just a guess. Please see attached photos for details.

The main issue here is that it will emit harmful gases towards our property and specially near the exit of kitchen (entrance to our garden). Also if we decide to do side extension in the future, this will be a situation. The height of the flue is also questionable. I am not too tall but 5'11. This means, if i am working there or doing bins and flue came out. it will be a potential nuisance and danger of burns too.

Can anyone shed any light on this please? Have they messed up? Are we in right to question this and ask neighbor to change their flue exit?

full
full

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Not allowed to discharge a flue directly over a boundary. Not even allowed to discharge in the direction of a boundary unless you have enough space. That boiler may not have been done by a proper engineer.
Should probably discharge vertically through the roof in that situation.
Get the current owner to serve notice on the neighbour to make it compliant before you exchange contracts.

I wonder if that is a recent instal. Look at the bricks

Call Gas Safe and ask them if the flue complies

The main issue here is that it will emit harmful gases towards our property

WILL it? Do you think pishing off new neighbours over a 15 year old boiler installation is going to be worth the hassle?

I wonder if that is a recent instal. Look at the bricks

Being an SE flue, I doubt it.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
WILL it? Do you think pishing off new neighbours over a 15 year old boiler installation is going to be worth the hassle?
Being an SE flue, I doubt it.

No it's not a 15 year old boiler installation. It's part of their new extension. That's where they have created a new utility room. I saw it from their planning permission.
I am not a boiler expert. But it is not SE flue. These properties are built in 1994. They don't have chimney stack or fire place. It seems they moved/installed new boiler there..

I saw it from their planning permission.

So it had planning permission? ;)

I am not a boiler expert. But it is not SE flue.

Well it isn't a condensing flue terminal. So at the very least they relocated an existing boiler.

Which ironically is a no no if it is outside the original footprint of the building.

However.... I refer you again to my post above.

Do you think pishing off new neighbours over a 15 year old boiler installation is going to be worth the hassle?
Just tell them it's a requirement of the solicitor as otherwise it devalues the house. There are enough genuinely stopst things argued about when houses are bought that this one isn't so bad.
Depends if the op might do an extension in future to a certain extent though.

If that's the OP's pathway, then it is up to the neighbour to sort the flue out should they build an extension. Wouldn't be the first time this was overlooked and the new wall went up causing the boiler to fault leaving the neighbour up the swanny because of their own remiss. :LOL:

So it had planning permission? ;)

Well it isn't a condensing flue terminal. So at the very least they relocated an existing boiler.
Which ironically is a no no if it is outside the original footprint of the building.
However.... I refer you again to my post above.

Thanks Dan for your response and suggestions. I appreciate it.

Regarding the planning permission, all the drawing shows just foot print of their extension etc. It doesn't show where the boiler would be etc. It just says utility room will be there.
Also i tried to check council's website regarding any boiler work. It has been not registered yet or no one has inspected yet may be. If they moved or new install i think any Corgi expert would have registered this change.

i tried to check council's website regarding any boiler work. It has been not registered yet

If it is an existing boiler that has been moved then there is no need to register it.

If they moved or new install i think any Corgi expert would have registered this change

CORGI were taken out of the picture years ago. It is Gas Safe now.

But like i said before... If the boiler was moved outside the original footprint it should have been upgraded.

However, what this means in terms of your purchase? Probably bugger all to be honest. I doubt there is anything any one can or will do about it; especially as part of conveyancing. You'll either have to:

• Take it on the chin - how much do you want the house?
  • Try and get some money off and take it on the chin - how much do you want the house?
  • Walk away now and keep on looking - how much do you want the house?

If it were me and I wanted the house, I would just live with it, but if they changed the boiler later I would be making sure they did a vertical flue.

Just tell them it's a requirement of the solicitor as otherwise it devalues the house. There are enough genuinely stopst things argued about when houses are bought that this one isn't so bad.

Thanks John for suggestions and insight in to this problem. I was thinking to email agent and get more information from seller. They must have noticed this and may be talked to their neighbor/notice etc. If not i would like them to talk or in worst case give notice before we exchange. Do you think this is justifiable? Btw our solicitor is very slow and seems not doing their job well. i have to dig in to myself planning details etc.

I personally don't like that "built to the boundary" setup. Even without the gas flue the gutter is over your property, and should have an easement for maintenance etc. I walked away from viewing a house like that. And conversely when I sold a strip of garden to a neighbour I allowed for their gutter to be on their side, and put an easement on our garden. But then I'm just a good guy ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back