Boiler flue questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if you could enlighten me regarding some boiler related issues I've been experiencing in my property? We have a Baxi Combi 80 Eco installed on our kitchen's external wall, its flue is on a walkway outside. This is a duplex flat with one of the bedrooms sitting on top of both the kitchen and the outside walkway where the front entrance to our and neighboring properties is located. I've attached some pictures to give you an idea.

I noticed two strange occurrences:

1) Contrary to all other flues in our floor which are totally sealed with what looks like cement, ours has a rubber cover which sits on the tube as in the picture. On the other side of the wall there is no sealing. If any other windows in the house are open, the tendency is for wind to flow from the front of the house to the back where the balcony is. I suspect this is dragging the fumes into the house, could you confirm ?

2) Again, contrary to all nearby flues, ours doesn't emit any kind of vapor or visible 'smoke' when operating. You can hear the noise but nothing comes out. Any idea what this means ?

Thank you for you help

Attachments

• walkway.jpg
    walkway.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 205
  • flume_outside.jpg
    flume_outside.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 173
  • flume_inside.jpg
    flume_inside.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 155
  • flume_tube.jpg
    flume_tube.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Mine has a cover to make it look pretty under the cover it is cemented and sealed. After having a gas safe inspector round he checked it was sealed and said it has to be or he would have failed it. You could always take the cover off and put some cement in. Quick dry cement you make up in a bucket is cheap as chips in any diy shop.

Sponsored Links
As already said, take the rubber cowling off, cement the gap, and then put the cowling back on. Essentially, it's just for making the outside look pretty. Now someone may well correct me, but if the boilers working okay, I wouldn't worry that it's not producing a visible vapour.

Once the gap round the flue has been sealed, then you see if any gasses come in the flat.

yes I have seen, but not used them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back to Op... I wouldn't leave flue collar like that... especially at that easy reach :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back