Accused by neighbour that boiler flue is causing a statutory nuisance

Sponsored Links
It depends on the rating of the oil boiler and its type, pressurise jet or not...see table 41 in https://assets.publishing.service.g...ads/attachment_data/file/1108428/ADJ_2022.pdf as to its siting and minimum clearance and flue location

As for a statuary nuisance they are difficult to prove..what is substantial...more than 180 days a year ?

Soth glos go so fed up they pubsiled a guide : https://www.southglos.gov.uk/Documents/Leaflets/Boiler Fumes 2011.pdf basically if its in line with building regs they would not bother.

Last edited:
We fit over a 100 oil boilers a year probably less than 5 of those are fitted without a plume kit
They are not expensive typically £150/£170 take about 10 minutes to fit.
Not worth the hassle of arguing the toss with customers neighbours.

Sponsored Links
The boiler is a Grant Oil multi pass 70/90 piello RD13 type PJ. I believe the building control regs say the flue only needs to be within 600 mm of the boundary, and it is within 2 metres.

I wonder if the larger plume has been caused by the fuel pressure being increased, as there was a problem with getting all the radiators in the house warm?

Either way, I'm happy to put a flue extension kit on the existing flue and deflect towards the front of my house away from the neighbour. I'm getting an oil boiler engineer to come and check everything over.

I don't know how old the boiler is exactly as the previous owner of my house installed it and all his documents lack dates. The installation instructions have 2002 on it, but that might just be when the document was produced not when the boiler was installed.
But it does look old.

Documentation doesn't say whether condensing or not but an Internet search says non-condensing.

If your boiler has recently started what looks like plumeing
I would get it checked urgently.
I would suspect internal leak on heat exchanger problems getting it up to temperature could also be same cause.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back