Plume from boiler causing nuisance - how to resolve?

I think you need some arbitration here as your neighbour will never be satisfied and you'll have emptied your bank account!

Natural elements are also at play here and they cannot be controlled!

During summer months when outdoor spaces are used and windows open, there will less plumage anyway!

Sponsored Links
I am confused by your pictures! Is your flue the one to the right with a 45 degree plume diverter?

So why can you not just divert it 90 degrees to exit facing what seems to be the front of the property.

As far as I am aware the 600 mm dimension was the original for non condensing boilers and the Building Control and Environmental Health work to the 2.5 m dimension but it may not have been updated in the legislation.

However, there is also a catch all requirement that no flue location should cause any nuisance to anyone.

When condensing boilers first had to be installed in 1995 there were a lot of complaints about pluming but that has died down now.

I always think a bird box is an indication of a fussy person!

Tony

Hi, yes that's my flue on the right. It is being "directed" a bit in the direction of the front of the house at the moment with the flue deflector, but the wind just blows it back down the side gap. I would be happy for it to be diverted to the front of the property, but the planning office have said it would need planning permission due to being in a national park and they will not really tell me if I'm likely to get this or not. Also, I think it might just be sent back down the side gap by the wind.

If it were diverted frontwards would this meet the 2.5m recommendation or does this apply to boundaries to the sides as well as to the front? I just want to divert it one time and not have any complaints or at least not the risk of being told to do further work by environmental health!

I think your neighbours are being a little extreme. There is very little you can do to alter the situation if it is being created by through drafts and air currents. That avenue between the houses creates a natural flow zone and any type of management you are able to fit to your boiler won't alter that.

All I would do in this case is seek advice from the EHO/BC and confirm that you would not be forced to move the flue (boiler), due to it being a classed as a nuisance. Then explain to your neighbours that you've done all you can, exhausted every avenue, moved every mountain and there's nothing else to do apart from move the boiler (which you already know isn't required). If that isn't good enough for them and they aren't prepared to be reasonable then unfortunately that's the way it needs to be and it's their issue, nothing else really you can do.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for advice Madrab. I called GasSafe earlier and they have offered to come and have a look and give their opinion. Is there any danger at all they might decide to disconnect me or something extreme like that? I'm literally about to give birth (due on Friday) and don't want to have a newborn and be without a boiler!

Surely you don't want Gas Safe turning up until after you've given birth? Your neighbours couldn't be that unreasonable, could they?

There's nothing wrong with your instal and it isn't really causing a nuisance to the velux Windows.
I'm afraid your neighbor is a tube and should just be told to foxtrot Oscar.

I don't know, they have come round lots of times and are putting quite a lot of pressure on us! But I think I will just arrange for GasSafe to come round in 6 weeks or something, if they can do that. That way I can tell the neighbours I am doing something to get them off my back for a bit, but I don't have to jump in to doing something that just won't work for the sake of it!

Why not invite your neighbour to the meeting with GS.? Then there can be no arguments afterwards over what was said,and yoiu can all have your input.

I have to say that in many ways it should be your neighbours who should be calling Gas Safe.

But it will probably be in your favour to call them first. They have no legal powers though.

I still think the best solution will be to divert it frontwards and upwards. Although makers don't like them being diverted upwards.

How far from terminal to the boundary of your property?

Tony

I assume the neighbours know you are pregnant? Jeesh, nothing like taking advantage of the situation is there!! my sympathies!

Just take the onus back from them and arrange your own visits, do it at your own pace and as fireman says, just keep them informed. It's as much as you need to do to be a good neighbour and much more than they are doing IMO.

When you've sorted the flue, they'll find something else to complain about. Your baby crying or car parking. Don't let yourself appear a pushover

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back