I want to condensate the plume from my boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My boiler emits a lot of steam outside when it is running. The steam tends to go through any windows I have open at the back of my house, over into the neighbours property and all over the outside of our buildings and makes going outside unpleasant when it's running.

Is there anyway I can condensate it and drain it off into the drain with all my other waste water ? The plume output pipe is located right above the drain.

Sponsored Links
The white plume is condensate.

What make and model boiler is it?

You might be able to extend it, or use a plume management kit depending.

I don't think there is much point in diverting it because I think you can't divert it very far.

Why can't the plume be condensated in a pipe and drip off into the drain ? ! I just don't understand why not ; I have searched the internet for answers about this and can't really find any answers. Baffling.

Because it already has as much as it can be. You would need a flue miles long to get all of it back to the boiler as a liquid.

What make and model boiler is it? What flue have you got at the moment?

You can't modify the flue, and an RGI can only do it within the guidelines of the manufacturer.

Part of the reason I fit the boilers I fit.

Sponsored Links
Yes there is no heat left in it to condense, it's only about 50c , the same as the breath you exhale. The only solution is to use a plume diversion kit specific to the boiler.

Normal body temperature is 37 degrees so how does your breath get up to 50 Degrees ??? that is some curry you are eating man

Sorry I'm over 50. Degrees Fahrenheit not centigrade. US old guys who know nothing after 35 years as a gas service engineer.

you just need to run it at a lower temperature, that will reduce the plume...

compensation controls do this automatically...also range rating will help quite alot too..

you just need to run it at a lower temperature, that will reduce the plume...

compensation controls do this automatically...also range rating will help quite alot too..

I knew that the answer lies in the WC !

It has not been clearly explained so far!

Water vapour is clear and colourless!

The "steam" which you see in the plume ( and the clouds ) is not water vapour all ready to condense!

Its actually water already in the liquid phase but in the form of small particles !

Tony Glazier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back