Why does a condensing boiler create a plume

Status
Not open for further replies.
self obsessed,

You sign as "" Sir Richard Puller Master Plumber aka Richardthethird, DeltaT, DPuller, Dickie ""

I doubt you have ever been awarded a Knighthood. Did you get the "Sir" as a Christian name from your parents or did you add it by Deed Poll ?

Or is it to give your weak ego a boost. Maybe you have a problem with your own self esteem.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
You will not believe this but that link came from another member of DIYnot with e-mail. But yes I have googled "Sir Richard Puller" as you mentioned it.

Sorry to deflate your ego but I am not stalking you.

You consider your self a celeb ? Your name sake a few hundred years ago was.

Steam is invisible, water vapour (condensed steam) is not.

http://www.weatherquestions.com/What_is_water_vapor.htm
Water vapor is water in its gaseous state-instead of liquid or solid (ice). Water vapor is totally invisible. If you see a cloud, fog, or mist, these are all liquid water, not water vapor.

The plumes on my boiler and my neighbour's boiler become visible an inch or so from the terminal. This suggests that invisible water vapour is condensing into water droplets at it meets cooler air.

If the concentric flue was made of heat conducting metal instead of plastic then possibly some of the heat in the flue gases could be transfered to warm the incoming air. The water vapour could also condense on the metal transfering the latent heat of condensation into the incoming air.

With a conventional boiler ( non condensing ) the temperature of the flue gases and the water vapour is high and the vapour travels further away from the terminal before it has been cooled enough to form water droplets. The droplets form and are dispersed over a large area and thus do not appear as mist or steam or a plume.

A condensing boiler produces a steam from it's flue. Call it steam in the marketing literature and people will think "wasted heat" but call it a plume and the obvious connection with wasted heat is no longer there.
Many boilers (C13/33) use stainless steel for flues/chimney...see many chimney/flues (B23) constructed of stainless steel.....only a certain grade of stainless should be used , I wonder if Bernard could enlighten us as to the correct grade of stainless ???
Some commercial burners utilise the POC's in order to recirculate into air intake..

Last edited:
One I'm thinking of has a strategically placed whole on the inner.... also handy for putting a screwdriver in when a certain part needs changing ;).

Can't think of a domestic with a NOX tube, but I'm sure there is.

wonder if Bernard could enlighten us as to the correct grade of stainless

For food processing it was generally 316 with 303 ( or was it 304 ) used for pipework not directly in contact with food and electrical cabinets.

I would guess 303 would have adequate corrosion resistance for flue pipe, maybe a tri-layer wall ( SS - aluminium - SS ) to achieve mechanical strength with the thinnest possible SS ( SS is not a good conductor of heat ).

Or has my memory failed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back