Boiler condensate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 20-year old Ideal Minimiser, for which I might get some sympathy :):), but it hasn't given any major problems.
I checked condensate production shortly after installation, and there was plenty. Now it doesn't seem to be producing much at all. Possibly the h/ex is fouled, mainly on the flue side, but it still plumes quite well. The installation instructions refer to pluming in connection with flue location.
Does anybody know whether non-condensing boilers gave off a plume? I don't remember about houses I've lived in, but the flues came out of the roof so not obvious anyway. No mention in the installation instructions, which as a hoarder I still have! I don't see why not, as there is the same amount of water generated. If they don't, I would like to think it shows mine, even if not as good as new, is still as efficient as a non-condensing boiler.
Any comments appreciated.

Sponsored Links
It all boilers down to flue gas temperature.

Yes, the old ones could condense, but it would soon bugger the flue then the heat exchanger if they did so for any length of time.

It all boilers down to flue gas temperature.

Yes, the old ones could condense, but it would soon bugger the flue then the heat exchanger if they did so for any length of time.
OK thanks. Now I remember, on non-condensing the flue should slope away from the boiler, towards the boiler on condensing, for obvious reasons.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back