Running condensing boilers in condensing mode

I've just had a phone call from the tech manager of Ravenheat

I seem to remember you writing some nice things about them

who confirmed that I was absolutely spot on with the way I had designed our sytem around their boiler with a cool heating circuit and hot cylinder circuit.

Amazing, what an insight! It's as if weather compensation had never been invented. All the time a guest house owner and sometime kitchen fitter had the answer we had all missed while sitting in our boxes.

Perhaps you'd appreciate some 'out of the box' advice from us on how to design a petrochemical plant? :evil:

Sponsored Links
Ravenheap advice is worth about as much as that from Tata or Lada.

Sponsored Links
Some of you may remember the Empire days and British Steel, which then became Corrus which was in turn bought up by Tata !

Tony

it takes a hell of a lot of energy to turn water into steam

But where is the water in a boiler?
I was led to believe carbon and hydrogen when burnt in a combustion chamber and combined with oxygen , will produce water vapour which then becomes superheated.
It neither is, nor becomes superheated.

The white plume from a boiler or an electric kettle is not actually "steam" !

Its tiny droplets of water!

Superheated steam is steam ( which is colourless by the way ) which is at a higher temperature than required to vapourise the water. e.g. 103° C for example.

Condensing boilers try to achieve a flue exit temperature of about 50 ° C if possible at maximum efficiency but most of the time its between 50-70 ° C.

White flue gases represent water droplets which have not been caught by the condensate drain.

Tony

Because nothing caused it to become superheated

So why do eco hometec state the following ........?

For every 1kg of hydrogen burned, 9kg of water vapour is produced. The temperature in the heat exchanger of a boiler can reach 1400°C. The water vapour produced is so hot it turns into superheated steam. This superheated steam contains both sensible (available heat) and latent heat (heat locked up in the flue gases). A conventional boiler will recover some of the sensible heat by passing these hot gases over a heat exchanger. The heat exchanger in non condensing boilers is generally made of cast iron or steel and cools the gases to between 250°C and 350°C.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back