Condensating Boiler - Return Temperature

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm Confused (easily done!) :confused:

I'm installing a Grant 15/26 vortex oil condensing boiler and within the documention it states that the return temperature must not fall below 40 degC and Ideally will be at 50 degC with a differential temperature of 20 degC, the reason being that the resulting condensate will corrode the heat exchanger. I spoke to the technical dept in Grant and they confirmed this.

Yet when I research Condensing Boilers on the Internet it seems that the whole point of a Condensing boiler is to have a low return temperature to allow it to condensate and without which its efficency will drop. Condensing boilers are supposed to be ideal for systems with a low return temperature (as low as 35 degC). This appears to contradict Grants requirements !!.

I'm fitting the boiler in a 5/6 bedroom and I'm conserned that the return temperture will be too low and I wont be able to maintain an economical and non-corroding system without some sort of indisciminate loop back from the feed.

Can anyone explain this or have any ideas of what can be done to maintain a 20degC differential.

Cheers,

Ady.

Sponsored Links
some sort of indisciminate loop back from the feed.

AKA a bypass! Fit a gate valve on the bypass and adjust it until you achieve the desired temp difference. Then take the wheel off the valve so that no-one messes about with it. Or you can buy a purpose made by-pass valve which is what I call 'exactly the same but different'
:confused:

Yup - But I dont really want to fit a bypass as it will increase the cycling of the boiler - therefore reducing efficency. Is there another way such as a thermostatic type system ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back