Boiler Plume nuisance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My neighbour in the flat below had a new boiler installed about 1 1/2 yr ago. At the time I did feel the boiler plume was a bit close to my flat, however I checked regs and found that regs state it needs to be 300mm away from a window (which it is) so I thought there was nothing I could do. However, recently a PVC fitter saw it and asked me if it did not annoy me which made me question it again. It does not seem right that my entire flat and windows are engulfed in someone elses boiler plume. I often come back at night and the window directly about the outlet cannot be seen through due to all the built up condensation (from the plume) on the outside. It can also drift back towards my front door depending on wind direction and some of it can enter my flat. None of it goes anywhere near the downstairs neighbour's flat, it all goes on mine. I have attached pictures. My question is...what can I do about this? Even if turing the outlet on the top of the pipe on the flue management kit 45 degrees is the best realistic solution I can expect I want to know what options there are before I raise it with neighbour. The actual outlet with no flue diversion pipe on it would be about a metre back from a fairly busy pavement so I can understand why the flue management kit was place on the outlet in the first place. Thanks

Attachments

• 034.jpg
    034.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 1,223
  • 025.jpg
    025.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 504
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If it causes you a problem, then you have every right to discuss it with your neighbour, and if he's not amenable to helping find a solution, then you can contact the local environmental health team, and ask them to look into it.

Yep, councils all over the UK have specific teams that deal with, what are considered, nuisance plumes. Looks like the plume kit has been used so the flue can be fitted there but has inadvertently caused another possible issue. Is that your stair/landing and front door too?

Have a chat with the owner but that could be a difficult one to solve by the looks of it.

Sponsored Links
Yep, councils all over the UK have specific teams that deal with, what are considered, nuisance plumes. Looks like the plume kit has been used so the flue can be fitted there but has inadvertently caused another possible issue. Is that your stair/landing and front door too?

Have a chat with the owner but that could be a difficult one to solve by the looks of it.
Thanks

Thanks Rob..yeah that is my stair/landing and front door. I thought it might be tricky as it's too low to just let if flow out of the outlet so putting the plume kit is the only solution they had but it doesn't seem right that it's so close to me now. It does drift into my flat if I open the door. I wan't sure if I was being overly fussy, after all it is only steam I suppose but something about it doesn't feel right so I'll definitely have a chat with the owner. Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back