A builder ripped my mum off!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everybody,

First of all, let me tell you how stressed out I am...

My 61 year old mother had downsized after my father passed away to a smaller property, to a beautiful cottage-cum-bungalow in Watford. Shortly after moving in, she encountered some problems, of which she had been aware when, but decided to tackle these head on and to employ a builder. She searched high and low for the best part of a year, found one she liked and thoroughly checked him out. She got him through RatedPeople.com, rather his business partner. Shortly before he started work, his partner and he parted ways and, as charming as this guy was, persuaded my mother and I that he was the best man for the job. He started work on 6th August 2012 and was initially charged to take on the demolition and reconstruction of a garage. On 26th September, he walked out on us, since he had hideously overrun on budget and was becoming slacker by the day. He left my moth with an unsightly hole in her bedroom wall (he told her her window needed an extra lintel and so he dug out some featured brick work. He left it gaping for over a month, despite him urging my mum to have the work done asap! ) As he was coming to the end of the budget for the garage, he persuaded my mother to have her utility room knocked down (it houses a boiler). This was knocked down and left to the elements for 3 weeks! It became clear that he over-phased himself and when we told him that he had had enough money, he got nasty. He would turn up to work at 9.30, disappear after a few hours to price another job before returning a few hours later. In the end, we had no option than to withhold money until he had made some evident progress (he was working on a daily basis and persuaded mum to be paid once a week!)

I have watched programmes like "Cowboy Builders" for ages and have always wondered how people could ever fall prey to such reprobates, but, well, it really is quite easy. I feel angry at myself for being so gullible and for, of course, these awful men!

His name is Brian Leete of Kohle Construction - avoid like the plague!

How can my mother be reimbursed? - finding a builder half way through a job puts us in a very vulnerable position!

Best

Mike :)

Sponsored Links
Naming names, can also put you in a vulnerable position too.

Wotan

Sadly, reimburse probably doesn't come into it. You'd need to take him to court, get a judgement, and then have that enforced - which could be difficult if he has no liquid assets that can be seized.
Very probably worth a chat with your local Trading Standards - probably won't help you/your mum, but it will at least put the guy on their radar and if he keeps doing the same to others then he'll find his collar being felt (eventually).

As to finding another builder, well you'll have the same problem of finding one who's trustworthy. The reality is that the majority of tradesmen are decent and honest, but of course "job done, as agreed, on time, and to budget" doesn't make headlines !
Obviously anyone new will be reluctant to take "ownership" of any previous work done - but from the sound of it he's not done all that much building, more a lot of knocking down.

In particular, if he's been building a new garage, then anyone taking this one would want to be certain that the foundations are adequate, etc - and this may not be easy to determine after the fact.

BTW - I'm sure at least some of this work will need building control notification, so what's happened there ? That would have required an inspection of the foundations for the new garage before building the walls.

Sponsored Links
I realise its too late now but personal recommendations (from friends ,relatives , colleagues etc and looking at previous work is the safest way to go.
i don't know about rated people.com but some of these organisations are no better than the yellow pages as the builder pays a fee to get recommended.
Good luck with it and don't give up.

people like this wind me up, it's all to easy to get ripped off by cowboy builders and they seem to have no morals. If it was my mum they did this to I'd consider paying them a visit with the boys to ask for a refund...!

another good one is inform the inland revenue that he insisted your mum pay him in cash ......they are not too fond off that sort of thing ...

total disgrace, funny how the majority of people who get scammed seem to be a lot older. They dont half pick their targets these scammers, hope they get exposed for what they are.

yes, it is really important to know who they are even though i understand his point of view too. i am afraid it is quite difficult to get a reimburse

It is a great mistake to believe what you find on a trade recommendation website. Good tradesmen have good reputations, and you should ask friends and neighbours, and visit past customers.

Do you think that the website recommendations weren't written by the builder and his mates? Don't you think that the builder pays the website, so it is a form of paid advertising?

You won't find many bad words about the websites on public forums. For example, Checkatrade employed a firm of solicitors called Acumen Business Law to threaten another website I use, and demand the names and addresses of critical posters. Obviously they have no legal justification, but this kind of censorship and threatening behaviour does keep people quiet, and the forum owners often delete threads to avoid expense in dealing with threatening letters.

Sponsored Links
Back