A Central Heating book for Xmas?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got lots of issues with my central heating (noisy).

I think it basically relates to when the system was put in (less that 10 years ago) a lot of old rads were put in with new pipework. I have since changed out the Boiler for a Worcester 35CDi (LPG). Now I get loads of pipe/radiator noises and the wife is doing my head in moaning.

Having had a look through a load of posts on here, I now have LOADS to check (Balancing, TRVs on the wrong end, bleeding) but there are still afew things that really elude me such as bleeding the pump (never done this so it could be causing issues) automatic air vent (apparently I night have to open this when refilling but I don't know why).

So rather than bug everyone with questions regarding all of these little bits & pieces, which book should I buy that will help me understand and troubleshoot a combi boiler (sealed? fed from mains) system?

There seems to be loads of choices on Amazon

Thanks

Ginge

Sponsored Links
I have also foundthis book which can be bought in partner with plumbing, Heating and Gas Installations at a good price. Is this ok for a novice?

Thanks Again

Ginge

Aaaargh!!!

I suppose Amazon links only relate to the current session that a user has with Amazon. Sorry.

Books are:

Central Heating: Fault Finding and Repair ~ John Reginald
Plumbing and Central Heating ~Mike Lawrence
Central Heating Combination Boiler Repairs Fast and Easy: Professional's Pocket Handbook ~Kanagaratnam Ganesha Nathan

and these are the ones you get a deal on:
Plumbing Encyclopaedia ~ R.D. Treloar
which you can get with:
Plumbing: Heating and Gas Installations ~ R.D. Treloar

both for £32.49

Thanks

Ginge

Sponsored Links
I have also tried (in vain) to find a reasonable DIY book on plumbing and central heating. A search in the local library helped by at least finding out which books I didn't want.
I have looked at the Mike Lawrence book, which was Ok but not very modern and the version I had certainly needed updating. His book on electrics is much better and can thoroughly recommend.
I am still looking for a decent reference book on plumbing and central heating so please put the title on the forum if you find one.

Your bump has worked :LOL:
Try the Collins book of plumbing.
WH Smith sell it and it is very good for the layman with no experience.
Suggest that this book is read and understood first before progressing to any others.
Post back with your comments if you purchase it. :)

Ta for that.

I left that one off the list as it got quite a slating on Amazon for not being detailed enough. what I need is something that is gonna take me step by step through the process of troubleshooting and setting up my Combi Boiler central heating i.e. filling system, bleeding pump, bleeding & balancing radiators correctly. Will this book show me that?

Ginge

Buy that one first and understand it fully, then purchase Central Heating,Fault Finding and Repair by John Reginald.
Both are excellent.
Don't try to run before you can walk as there is a lot to learn before you can start to do CH repairs. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back