A couple of questions re WASTE DISPOSAL UNIT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been having a look at the waste disposal units on Screwfix. These are all manufactured by Watemaid. Are they any good? Watermaid that is, not Screwfix. :)

Also, a friend who has a WDU was told by the plumber who installed it that it was necessary to have a back inlet gully in her garden in order that any accumulation of grease could be rodded away. How can such a provision be made if we instal ours on an upper floor?

Thanks alot for any help. ;)

Sponsored Links
Bit confusing as you titled this dishwasher, but you mean 'Waste disposal unit'.

I have had dishwashers for over 25 years, the only problem has been corrosion & replacement.

I have always exited to a drain after ashort run.

In the Canada / USA WDU are common place & exit straight into the waste system.
So I am guessing that the advice you have been given may just be a case of if you can, it would be a good idea.

Bit confusing as you titled this dishwasher, but you mean 'Waste disposal unit'.

I have had dishwashers for over 25 years, the only problem has been corrosion & replacement.

I have always exited to a drain after ashort run.

In the Canada / USA WDU are common place & exit straight into the waste system.
So I am guessing that the advice you have been given may just be a case of if you can, it would be a good idea.

Sorry about the misleading subject title (thanks Mr Moderator :) ).

It's just that I want to avoid the problems of a future blockage if I can. I think we also have to have the hole in the sink made larger to fit the WDU. Just one other thing, if you have a dishwasher should it be connected to the WDU or is this unnecessary? Thanks again. ;)

Sponsored Links
The waste disposal unit if used as per the instruction, should not give any problems, you just need to ensure that you run the water for a while during & after.

Thanks Mr Mod

The waste disposal unit if used as per the instruction, should not give any problems, you just need to ensure that you run the water for a while during & after.

Thanks, Diy.

Just one thing I forgot. My mum tells me that when she had her WDU installed the plumber had to cut out a big hole in the sink in order that it woud fit. I forgot about this bit. How's it done? ;)

Sorry to monpolise the Appliance section but I have anither question re WDUs. On the Screwfix website they advertise remote controls for about £16 that can be ordered with the WDU. Are these worth having or just a gimmick? Thanks.

Katie :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back