A couple of questions regarding artificial grass

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm a regular in the gas man forum up the page a bit so though I'd pop in here for some quick advice as I'm going to give installing an artificial lawn a go. Our lawn is east facing, so doesn't get a lot of sun so has never really grown well, this is compounded by the fact it is surrounded on 3 sides. My house on one, a neighbours house on another and a 5ft perimeter wall on the third.

So, regarding the base it seems sand or 6mm to dust Granite is the way to go but what is preferred? Is it dependant on how thick your sub base needs to be or drainage issues?

Also, am thinking of running the lawn right into the previously mentioned 3 walls (the final edge is lined by a patio) with no additional frame. Will this cause any issues? It's only a small lawn, 4.5m by 3.5m and it has no drainage issues at the moment.

Think I've sort of got my head round the job, different from what I'm used to but with a bit of thought and elbow grease should be able to get it done.

Sponsored Links
I wouldnt use sand, especially if going to be used as a lawn would be used - in my experience it'll end up lumpy (though you can always bash it back into shape).

I always use a frame to nail it to, to be honest.

Yeah, it's going to be for the kids really so it's not going to be just for show - I want it to be as solid as possible. I'll go for the stone.

I'm not keen on having any border - I want to get as much usable area as possible for the kids to run around in. Are you saying put a timber frame in then run the grass on top of the timber so you can't see it? Or leave the timber on show?

Thank you, by the way. :)

Make sure you get the type of artificial grass that is intended for children's play areas and not the hard wearing type that is intended only to be walked on by people wearing shoes.

The hard wearing type can lacerate skin due its stiffer "grass" blades not bending when someones skin is sliding along the "grass".

Sponsored Links
Yeah, it's going to be for the kids really so it's not going to be just for show - I want it to be as solid as possible. I'll go for the stone.

I'm not keen on having any border - I want to get as much usable area as possible for the kids to run around in. Are you saying put a timber frame in then run the grass on top of the timber so you can't see it? Or leave the timber on show?

Thank you, by the way. :)
on top of the frame.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back