Garden remodel / Heavy Clay soil / Artificial grass

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Garden has a lot of clay soil. The old patio near the house is too high (over the inside ground level and when I've dug a channel round, it often fills with water when it rains so either the water table is very high or very poor drainage.

I wanted to lay down a new patio and then artificial grass. There is a slope away from the house.

What I was planning on doing was putting drainage channels 3-400mm down like the neighbours say they have to get the water moving to the end of the garden, move soil from up near the house further down to make the area more level, MOT base and Patio then artificial grass and raised beds on the outside. How much MOT is needed as a base for the grass / patio when there's poor drainage or just the standard 50mm if drainages channels are in? Does this sound like the correct way to approach the garden?

The only downfall is it is near impossible to get a digger in as there are steps involved so it all has to be done by hand apart from the drainage channels which there is a machine to hire.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back