Can i cover drainage channel with a thin layer of gravel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

This may be a stupid question.... but i'm building a patio which i was originally planning on sloping away from the house, but due to it leading into a raised bed of grass which is very high in clay content i've decided to slope it back towards the house and put drainage channel between the patio and the house.

Is it a stupid idea to sink the drainage channel slightly and then cover with a decorative gravel (purely for aesthetic purposes)?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The stones would need to be prevented from going down the drain , and the stones would make it very slow draining so in heavy rain the drain would be useless

But it would work!

you could use pebbles or cobbles

being bigger, they have bigger drainage gaps

But any stones will get kicked out into the grass and smash your mower. You might consider a product like "Safeticurb"

i think the answer to your question is "yes"

you could use pebbles or cobbles

being bigger, they have bigger drainage gaps

But any stones will get kicked out into the grass and smash your mower. You might consider a product like "Safeticurb"

i think the answer to your question is "yes"

The OP is putting the channel between the patio and the house so shouldn't be any danger of smashing the mower.

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

This may be a stupid question.... but i'm building a patio which i was originally planning on sloping away from the house, but due to it leading into a raised bed of grass which is very high in clay content i've decided to slope it back towards the house and put drainage channel between the patio and the house.

Is it a stupid idea to sink the drainage channel slightly and then cover with a decorative gravel (purely for aesthetic purposes)?

Thanks.
Hi Chris,

I'm thinking doing this exact thing, can I ask how did it work for you , any advice ?

Tommy Ireland

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back