A Degree Of Common Sense?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

If I had spent the last three to four years studying to obtain a University Degree and then discovered that an “actress” who has spent the last 22 years playing the same character in a TV Soap, (can’t be classed as REAL acting), had been awarded an honorary degree of education, I’d be a bit miffed. Wouldn’t you?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/7514148.stm

I feel that stunts (that’s all they are, publicity stunts) like this by universities just demean all the hard work put in by some students.

Sponsored Links
They don't really demean anything because an honorary degree doesn't mean anything to anybody other than the individual who receives it and the University who receive funds for giving it :LOL:

MW

when was the last time you see bill the bricky or pete the plasterer get a knigthood for his services to building ,
we the working folk get honourd with shi## pension's and poor public services, :mad: its only luvveys and ar## wipes MPs and people in tv etc who meet the high leavel of toads, who get these cra# honour'
we the people would not give a flying fart to these crawelrs never mind a bogus honour,

we the working folk get honourd with shi## pension's and poor public services, :mad: its only luvveys and ar## wipes MPs and people in tv etc who meet the high leavel of toads, who get these cra# honour'
we the people would not give a flying fart to these crawelrs never mind a bogus honour,

I take it you agree then, Billy! :D :LOL:

Sponsored Links

If I had spent the last three to four years studying to obtain a University Degree and then discovered that an “actress” who has spent the last 22 years playing the same character in a TV Soap, (can’t be classed as REAL acting), had been awarded an honorary degree of education, I’d be a bit miffed. Wouldn’t you?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/7514148.stm

I feel that stunts (that’s all they are, publicity stunts) like this by universities just demean all the hard work put in by some students.

Suppose a person should quit school at 16 join the navy and after three years he decides to take his honorable discharge rather then making the service a career.

This same lad starts his own company and though good fortune and lots and lots of hard work builds his company to a fortune 500 with several hundred employees most are college graduates.

Don't you think this employer although a drop out has proved his knowledge in business and thus should be given the degree learning the hard way?

Many ,many of my employees had graduated college yet they work for me.

What good is a piece of paper from a school if people do not utilize their training to the fullest

Sylvan Tieger said:
Don't you think this employer although a drop out has proved his knowledge in business and thus should be given the degree learning the hard way?

In a word, no. A degree is a qualification that should mean what it says, namely that you studied a subject and passed exams to prove that you learnt something.

Work experience is also valuable and can be checked by asking for references. Employers can decide for themselves whether the ex-navy self-employed businessman will be better or worse than the university graduate.

PS: It is well known that some degrees are worth more than others. In my student days you could find this scrawled on walls above the toilet roll: "Sociology degrees. Please take one." :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: I expect the modern equivalent will be Media Studies. ;) ;) ;)

if you've studied and pass exams you get gualifications you learn a trade and pass you get city and guilds papers. if you lick MPs butt and slip a few 100k into party funds you'll get a knigthood or become a lord ,if you fail as a party learder you will also get knigthood or some other sh## bestow upon you :p

Sylvan Tieger said:

In a word, no. A degree is a qualification that should mean what it says, namely that you studied a subject and passed exams to prove that you learnt something.

Work experience is also valuable and can be checked by asking for references. Employers can decide for themselves whether the ex-navy self-employed businessman will be better or worse than the university graduate.

PS: It is well known that some degrees are worth more than others. In my student days you could find this scrawled on walls above the toilet roll: "Sociology degrees. Please take one." :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: I expect the modern equivalent will be Media Studies. ;) ;) ;)

I think life experiences should and do mean more then a professional student.

Think of Henry Ford and many of people who droppaed out of scholl at an early age and still made it big time

That rather depends upon the job. Would you let an unqualified dentist drill holes in your teeth? :eek: :eek: :eek:

On the other hand, I suspect that running a business is something you could learn better the old fashioned way, eg by minding the shop. :) :) :)

Space cat";p="958554 said:
Would you let an unqualified dentist drill holes in your teeth? :eek: :eek: :eek:

[/quote

Not rocket science is it? Gimme 6 weeks and I'ld be a competent dentist.

if you've studied and pass exams you get gualifications you learn a trade and pass you get city and guilds papers. if you lick MPs butt and slip a few 100k into party funds you'll get a knigthood or become a lord ,if you fail as a party learder you will also get knigthood or some other sh## bestow upon you :p
The honours system in this country is a joke. They gave a knighthood to robert mugabe because he hosted a commonwealth conference even though his korean mercenaries had killed 20,000 of his people.

Sylvan Tieger said:

Think of Henry Ford and many of people who droppaed out of scholl at an early age and still made it big time
Never truste a man who uses big wards he cant spel.

Sponsored Links
Back