A draining problem...........

It's unusual for anything capable of causing a blockage to get any further than the u bend. If it is light enough to be washed through the bend, then it is light enough to be carried away completely. More often than not, it is an obstruction (such as a small piece of slate or stone) that gets lodged just around the other side of the bend. Other lighter debris then collects up behind it. If you have cleared right the way down to the bottom of the u bend, you'll probably find the problem just around the bend. As I say, scooping this out will generally clear it. It can be tricky as you can generally only get your finger tips around the bend, but it is worth the extra effort.

Another possibility is that the pipe run itself has collapsed. If you have access to the inspection chamber, you should be able to tell if your rainwater gulleys flow into this. Just look at the pipes comming into the chamber, and look at the direction thay are coming from. If they are not eminating from the direction of your rainwater gulleys then you haven't found them (drain pipes do not have bends below ground level, therefore they run in straight lines).

Alternatively, dig down to see which direction the pipes run out of the gulley.

Once you have established the path taken by the pipes, look at the ground above to see if there is any sign of subsidence or heave of the surface. It's possible that someone in the past parked a vehicle off the side of the drive (and unwittingly, caused a break in the pipe below). Another possibility is that a very large tree root has continued to grow beneath the pipe causing heave, and therefore collapse of the pipe.

If you can find their exit in the inspection chamber, Once you have pushed your rods in as far as they will go, check this length along the surface, then dig, that's where the pipe has caved in.

I have also encountered a situation where all the rainwater gulleys for the entire street, empty into a pipe running parallel with the building line (just 2 ft away from it) This was just 6 inches below the surface!. The neighbour of my customer had broken this pipe while digging out footings for a porch, and thought it was a discarded piece of pipe in the ground. They then filled it in with concrete and built around it. As they had built the porch during a long dry spell, their folly didn't come to light untill the autumn brought some rain.

Sponsored Links
Thought I'd better check all the other drains out and found that another downpipe at the front of the house was blocked and the u-bend gulley it went into was buried under tons of earth. A nearby tree had grown a root down through the grill and is so far down through the bend and down the pipe that it cannot be pulled out. I'm beginning to accept that the last owner of the house just didn't care at all about his drains!

drain pipes do not have bends below ground level, therefore they run in straight lines
All the ubends point away from the house towards the street. The main drains have inspection chambers in the driveways of the houses on both sides. Does the direction of the ubend not indicate the direction of the pipe? In that case I was thinking that the rainwater drains must run out from the house and down to join the main drain at a right angle, but there is no way of viewing this junction. Anyway, the drain which was buried is the only one which now works! Clears itself very well, what should I do about the root though if anything? Will it just rot in time now it has been severed? Maybe it is that which has caused blockages down the line.

Time to get the pros in I think.
If you have a Drains R Us in your area try them, Very reasonabley priced ;)

not sure whether the drains concerned go straight to the combined foul and rain water drain or maybe a soakaway,,,,,,,,,, How do I tell?

If you have an inspection chambre at the end of your drive you could try drain tracing dye, but it might not work if its blocked

In the case of one of the drains the fact that the drain has a u-bend indicates to me that it was designed to feed into a combined drain - does this make sense?

yep that would be logical however the builder make have tried to protect the soak away from silt by including the trapped gully.

some local company may be willing to do a drain survey for you using cctv (about £100 in the w. mids)

Sponsored Links
It is not uncommon around here to have a completely separate drainage system for surface water. You sometimes find that there is a pond locally that has been especially created to act as a reservoir for this. (especially on the more up market estates).

Inspection chambers on these surface water systems can be as far as 200m apart! the nearest one could, therefore, be at the end of the street. If you can't find evidence of the runs in your local inspection chambers, you are unlikely to get to the bottom of it without digging, or getting in professionals, that are familiar with local arangements in your area.

It's possible that someone in your local BCO will have a pretty good idea of what's in place on your property, so it wouldn't hurt to give them a call first.

You shouldn't put caustic soda or acid down any drain. Apart from being bad for the environment it's also illegal

asked severntrent about this

Is it permissible for me to aid unblocking of a foul water drain on my property using caustic soda solution or 500mls of a liquid product called "one shot", I believe it is sulphuric acid.

"I can confirm that you can use this type of product to aid the unblocking process. However please do only use 500mls for anything more it may interfere with our sewage treatment works."

SevernTrent

Well, I removed as much debris as I could, managed to unblock things here and there and ended up using some chemicals too. Now I will just continue to monitor things and if they still overflow in a while I will be calling in the pro's.
It is not uncommon around here to have a completely separate drainage system for surface water. You sometimes find that there is a pond locally that has been especially created to act as a reservoir for this. (especially on the more up market estates).

Inspection chambers on these surface water systems can be as far as 200m apart! the nearest one could, therefore, be at the end of the street.
I'm 99%sure I've established the drain run into the combined drain, inspection cover in next-door's drive.

Thanks everyone for your help.

JD

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back