Condensate backing up all the way to internal garage!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Long time follower, but first ever post.

We had a new central heating system installed 18 months ago which has worked flawlessly. It's a Vaillant Ecotec Plus 624 system boiler with a 250L Megaflo.

Recently during a mental deluge of rain, the garage became flooded. Water was backing up from the condensate pipe and into the garage (where the boiler is located). The condensate pipe starts from the garage and goes through the side of garage and connects to a rainwater downpipe (approx 2.5 meters of 32mm black pipe is external). I had to cut a section of the external pipe to stop water from backing up. We had DynoRod come down (we've got BG Homecare) and they confirmed that the specific rainwater downpipe that the condensate is connected must drain to a soakaway and the soakaway had flooded. There's no gully where the pipe goes into the ground, it's just buried and goes straight down.

To stop this from happening again, I bought a 40mm non return valve and put it between the condensate pipe and rainwater drain, to stop water from backing up again. I've also put a small over flow between the new return valve and the downpipe pointed towards the driveway to relieve additional pressure on the gutter system in case of heavy rain again.

Being just a DIY'er, I'd like to know if any professionals thinks that I have taken the correct steps to correct this problem.

I'm aware that there's some debate about whether condensate should drain into normal rain soakaways or special lime chipping soakaways. Having a paved driveway this would be very time consuming and expensive to dig up to create a new condensate soakaway; there are no foul drains located near the condensate. The original CH installation was Gas Safe approved, and BG and Vaillant have not pointed anything wrong during their annual inspections.

Neither me or Gas Safe are able to get hold of original installer.

Would appreciate any comments.

Regards

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

Long time follower, but first ever post.

We had a new central heating system installed 18 months ago which has worked flawlessly. It's a Vaillant Ecotec Plus 624 system boiler with a 250L Megaflo.

Recently during a mental deluge of rain, the garage became flooded. Water was backing up from the condensate pipe and into the garage (where the boiler is located). The condensate pipe starts from the garage and goes through the side of garage and connects to a rainwater downpipe (approx 2.5 meters of 32mm black pipe is external). I had to cut a section of the external pipe to stop water from backing up. We had DynoRod come down (we've got BG Homecare) and they confirmed that the specific rainwater downpipe that the condensate is connected must drain to a soakaway and the soakaway had flooded. There's no gully where the pipe goes into the ground, it's just buried and goes straight down.

To stop this from happening again, I bought a 40mm non return valve and put it between the condensate pipe and rainwater drain, to stop water from backing up again. I've also put a small over flow between the new return valve and the downpipe pointed towards the driveway to relieve additional pressure on the gutter system in case of heavy rain again.

Being just a DIY'er, I'd like to know if any professionals thinks that I have taken the correct steps to correct this problem.

I'm aware that there's some debate about whether condensate should drain into normal rain soakaways or special lime chipping soakaways. Having a paved driveway this would be very time consuming and expensive to dig up to create a new condensate soakaway; there are no foul drains located near the condensate. The original CH installation was Gas Safe approved, and BG and Vaillant have not pointed anything wrong during their annual inspections.

Neither me or Gas Safe are able to get hold of original installer.

Would appreciate any comments.

Regards

As the installer, presumably, didn't install the soakway, then he can't be blamed for any defect in that regard. However, where the condensate pipe joins the downpipe, it should be left unsealed, specifically to prevent water backing uo in case of the drain or soakaway being overwhelmed. Remove the non return valve, and refit the condensate pipe into the downpipe, as said leaving the joint unsealed

An airbreak will be more effective than a NRV.

Have it between the outside wall and the downpipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back