Condensate pump to rainwater guttering?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm looking to get a condensing boiler installed but the current location is nowhere near a drain point etc.

Building a soakaway would be a pain as the pipe would exit straight into the driveway, so would it be possible/legal to install a condensate pump and pump vertically to the rainwater guttering? (presumably with a check valve)

The boiler is in a single storey extension so it wouldn't be too much of a run.

If it's feasible I'll ask my gas safe man to quote for it.

Cheers,

AP

Sponsored Links
Its not exactly normal but I cannot see any strong objections to that part of the job.

The problem is that if you have a two pipe drainage connection then the condensate MUST go into the foul drain and NOT into the rainwater drain.

If its a combined single drainage then thats a foul drain so its OK. So would a soakaway if thats where your rainwater goes although strictly it should have acidity removed by a filter through limestone chippings.

You need to find out what type of system you have!

However, it would be normal to ask these questions to your boiler installer who has been trained in dealing with these aspects.

Tony

Thanks Tony, I didn't know about the pump option when he came around so I'll see what the quote is with the soakaway and see if it would be cheaper (if feaslible) to use a pump instead.

I believe the drainage is a single sewer system (the houses were built in the 70s) so shouldn't be a problem. My only concern is whether the acidity would adversely affect the UPC guttering - although a neutralizing filter should negate that.

Cheers,

Andy

Boiler condensate is only mildly acidic and is no problem in plastic pipework.

It can also be put into a cast iron pipe as long as that is also used regularly by other waste water and therefore not an otherwise dry pipe.

It should never be put through a copper pipe!

Tony

Sponsored Links
depends on your local building authority if you are allowed to run condensate in to rainwater soakaway. in norfolk it is allowed as the soil is generally alkaline

Its not exactly normal but I cannot see any strong objections to that part of the job.

I'd object, on the grounds that the downpipe may terminate above an open gully trap, or may splash over from a blocked hopper. Either way, not too keen on anyone having open access to the condensate, regardless of how mildly acidic it is. :confused:

have a look at a McAlpine BOSSCON 10

into rainwater downpipe no problem.

job done

have a look at a McAlpine BOSSCON 10

into rainwater downpipe no problem.

job done
So, what you're saying is that it's ok to run any condensate from any boiler into an open drain (providing it's grey water) with no protection at the outlet. Well now I know ;)

And why would you need protection from condensate,
Do you do a risk assesment before putting vinegar on your chips :rolleyes:

Vinegar is a stronger acid than condensate and your sticking that down your gob

that's OK, it ends up down the foul drain.

Vinegar is a stronger acid than condensate and your sticking that down your gob

But it's also tested. Anyway, that's not the point. I thought that condensate should really be sent through a sealed waste (such as into a soil stack).. My mistake - was just querying the safety of this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back