Condensate pipe - what a nightmare!

I would do what Shardie has suggested. The flow rate is insignificant in plumbing terms and a pump is over-engineering the problem. To be frank, if the soil underneath is not clay, the soakaway doesn't need to be anything more than a deep bore with a few pebbles thrown down it. Moderate rain falls at a greater rate than my condensate pipe.

Sponsored Links
Hire a 5inch core drill and core through the tarmac/concrete. Ive used this method before should take about 30 mins to core through if all goes well, is a neet job and 5" gives you room to drop the soakaway into then just patch it over with a concrete mix or even some black pebbles or similar.
Without seeing the job its difficult to advise on any possible route, why not get a local firm in to give you a quote for boiler and ask then were they will run the condensate too.

Presumably I'd also need to dig out a run to the house (with the soakaway being a metre or so away). If the pipe isn't underground then I'm going to be driving over it!

How about going up, through the ceiling void and to the toilet waste? Is it really only 6mm pipe?

......then just patch it over with a concrete mix or even some black pebbles or similar.

It's supposed to be accesible to top up the chippings as they erode.

How about using something like Sentinels (Salamanders) Condensafe neutraliser inside the property and run the outlet pipework into a soakaway under the drive (at a suitable distance from the building/services) that can be covered over.

Tank pumps have the option of 1/4 inch (6mm) or 3/8 inch outlets so for a longer run it may br better to opt for 3/8... I always get my pumps from refrigeration suppliers, they are exactly the same thing but I find them to be lower in price.. They will also be able to supply you with the appropriate plastic hose... I agree with others that gravity is the most reliable pump but some times it is just not an option..

The pump can also be wired in to the boiler controls so that in the event of the pump failing, it will switch off the boiler to prevent flooding..

Sponsored Links
Gasguru";p="1308537 said:
......then just patch it over with a concrete mix or even some black pebbles or similar.

It's supposed to be accesible to top up the chippings as they erode.quote]

Erm thats why i said OR some black pebbles as these can be easy removed to acces the soakaway unit.

Yes would most probably have to also cut a small chase to run the pipe through but it depends how desperate (determined) you are to solve your problem. Can easy chase out a 1 meter lenth with an angle grinder.
To be perfectly honest with you and no offence intended you dont seem like you have much confidence in your own abilitys as most people would have thought of something by now. Probably far less stress and cost to you if you just leave all the hard work to the installer let him do his job.

OK, I asked for a quote with a soakaway as this seems the best if not easiest option. The quote is for the following work:

• Powerflush and drain down system, remove old boiler
• Fit Vaillant EcoTecPlus 428 condensing boiler in same location
• Run condensate to soakaway to be prepared by me
• Fit Magnaclean system cleaner
• Replace mains stopcock
• Reuse existing pump and controls
• Test and commission new system

The cost is £2,380.00 + VAT - does this seem fair, it's a lot of money! I'm in Buckinghamshire.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back