CONDENSE PIPE & FLAT ROOF QUERY

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've got a condense pipe to run from an upstairs bedroom in a terraced peoperty, across a flat roof, and to terminate in the rainwater guttering at the end of the flat roof. As it is a terrace and each house has an almost identical flat roof, the only guttering / downpipe is at the end of the roof, running parallel to the bedroom wall which the boiler is on.

So, if done this way, my condense pipe will run around 4m along the flat roof and into guttering.

A CORGI on site doing the AGA suggested that condense pipes could be terminated ONTO flat roofs, as they are - in effect- just a big sluice to channel rainwater into the guttering at the end. He said that as they were not habitable space under normal conditions there was no risk of anyone slipping on any ice that may be formed by freezing condensate in winter.

If he is right, then I will do it this way as it will look better and save me hassle, but I'm not sure if he's trying to shaft me as he didn't get the boiler job!

Any suggestions gratefully received...

Sponsored Links
Since condensate is acidic it would be very foolish to discharge it onto a flat roof. Keep it in plastic pipework.

Thats an interesting question.

Condensate is only VERY mildly acidic and I dont expect it would affect a standard felt roof.

However you could always use one of those neutralisers that you can buy.

Or more daring you could fill a length of waste pipe with limestone chippings???

Tony

As I recall you are not allowed to discharge condensate into a rainwater system (unless it goes to main drainage and not to a soakaway).

Condensate is only VERY mildly acidic and I dont expect it would affect a standard felt roof
Would you like to put money on that, Tony? I would have thought that, over a period of time, it could do damage.

Don't forget also that as the pipework is over 3m it will have to be run in a bigger pipe that 3/4" overflow and insulated as well.

Sponsored Links
Another consideration... What happens when the 4 Metres of condensate pipe freezes up in the winter?

TicklyT said:
Another consideration... What happens when the 4 Metres of condensate pipe freezes up in the winter?

All external condensate pipe must be min 1.25" and doesn't need insulating. Any overflow used out side if unavoidable should be insulated and the insulation cut with mitred corners for full protection.

they do a adaption to fit in the condence pipework internally that removes the acidity (some kind of chalk filter maybe this would help .. ??

My tuppence wort id that I thought that other than 1.25 waste the only other condieration now is that the discharge should not represent a trip hazard (ie frozen footpaths) and we no longer need to worry about lime chip soakaways drains etc=?

ACOperson said:
Cheers for tips guys. 1.25mm into the guttering it is...

a 1.25 mm diameter pipe may cause problems a 1 1/4 inch waste pipe may prove more useful

ACOperson, if you really need to question that then start a plastering coarse. BASICS :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back