condensate overflow pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I often see condensate pipes joined to rainwater downpipes so it must be OK for them to discharge into the same drain.

So, would it be OK for a condensate pipe to discharge above a running gutter outlet (i.e directly above the downpipe) instead of forming a union lower down? The gutter is plastic, not metal.

We have a porch under the egress point of the boiler's condensate pipe and it'd save an unsightly pipe run if I could let it discharge into the porch's downpipe.

Just asking

Goatib

Sponsored Links
Condensate is mildly acidic, about the same as Coke, so it should not go in dedicated rainwater drains. It should go with "normal" waste water.
The requirements are listed in the M.I. of your boiler.

Yes it's OK. If it's a dribbler though (they vary) freezing can be a big problem..
If it's into a soakaway it 's supposed to have a thing in the way with lime crystals to neutralise it. Like about 1% of them do... ;)

Condensate from boilers is not allowed to discharge into a rainwater system although an awful lot do

If you put it into a hopper or gutter (not allowed) instead of a hole through the side of the drain pipe(not allowed), when we get snow the hpper/gutter will fill with snow/ ice and you pipe will become blocked, and your boiler will shut down

Sponsored Links
Condensate is mildly acidic, about the same as Coke, so it should not go in dedicated rainwater drains. It should go with "normal" waste water.
The requirements are listed in the M.I. of your boiler.

I know it's acidic.

The downpipe from the porch AND the current condensate pipe both discharge into the kitchen's foul water drain. It's because I have three pipes on the front of the house all going to the same drain that I asked whether I could let the condensate discharge higher up into the downpipe thus negating one of the unsightly pipe runs.

So, this would be OK then as the water from the kitchen is "normal" waste water?

Condensate from boilers is not allowed to discharge into a rainwater system although an awful lot do

If you put it into a hopper or gutter (not allowed) instead of a hole through the side of the drain pipe(not allowed), when we get snow the hpper/gutter will fill with snow/ ice and you pipe will become blocked, and your boiler will shut down

OK, thanks. As above, really. The intent was to place the condensate pipe an inch or so down the vertical downpipe. The fall is about 7ft from that point to the drain.

Although "not allowed" you see it done in loads of places but no-one has it quite like I'm asking about.

The current route takes it all the way down with the rainwater downpipe where both discharge into the kitchen drain.

Thanks anyway.

Yes it's OK. If it's a dribbler though (they vary) freezing can be a big problem..
If it's into a soakaway it 's supposed to have a thing in the way with lime crystals to neutralise it. Like about 1% of them do... ;)

In 2 years I've yet to see anything come out of this pipe, I'm not there all the time so it probably waits for me to stop looking before having a quick burst. :LOL:

The downpipe from the porch AND the current condensate pipe both discharge into the kitchen's foul water drain. It's because I have three pipes on the front of the house all going to the same drain that I asked whether I could let the condensate discharge higher up into the downpipe thus negating one of the unsightly pipe runs.

So, this would be OK then as the water from the kitchen is "normal" waste water?

No problems in your case. Just make sure the condensate pipe terminates over the gutter and doesn't rest in it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back