Condensate pipe - what a nightmare!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm struggling to think of the best way to terminate a condensate pipe for a new boiler I want installed.

I've looked into digging a soakaway (real pain as it'd next to the driveway which is tarmac over concrete) and using a pump but the nearest gutter is quite a run away and the boiler's in an extension with a flat roof.

Here's an image of the house layout:
Condensate.jpg

Any imaginative ideas or helpful tips as to what would work best?

Cheers,

Andy

Sponsored Links
The condensate empties out about 1ltr an hour on full tilt so a small soakaway would suffice.
Unfortunately it would white stain the tarmac if you were tempted as many do.

Pete

Sponsored Links
youy didn't mention that. No gas supply for a cooker, then?

youy didn't mention that. No gas supply for a cooker, then?

Sorry, no, all electric apart from the boiler which suppiles CH & HW. It's an open vented system if that makes a difference.

I've looked at pumping the condensate but as the nearest gutters and drains are so far away I'd imagine that the runs would be too long, and as it's a flat roof, the runs would probably have to be external and hence unsightly and prone to freezing.....?

The downpipe is the drain shown at the bottom of the diagram, slightly to the right. All I can think is that I'll need to break up the driveway and fit a soakaway (or rather have the engineer do it).... :(

what is at back of house , take it out wall and back through the garage if there is something there

Namsag - I'll double check - the back of the garage has guttering but I think it just "disperses to patio".....!

How far is it from the boiler, up the wall, follow the walls round, through into the room next door and out to that drain by your front door? A little giant tank pump can shift a lot of water a long way through 6mm PVC pipe

Hire a 5inch core drill and core through the tarmac/concrete. Ive used this method before should take about 30 mins to core through if all goes well, is a neet job and 5" gives you room to drop the soakaway into then just patch it over with a concrete mix or even some black pebbles or similar.
Without seeing the job its difficult to advise on any possible route, why not get a local firm in to give you a quote for boiler and ask then were they will run the condensate too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back