A failing wall light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just replaced to old wall lights with better looking lamps.

The old wall lights operated from a 2 gang switch ( one a 2-way for top and bottom of the stairs, the other 1- way for the wall lights of the downstairs room).

Each of the wall lights also had its own independent push switch to turn it off when needed while the other remained on.

The new wall lights can only be switched on or off at the 2 gang switch. The connection to the first wall light was straightforward (there were only 3 wires) and the light comes on.

The second light does now not come on. There is an earth and 2 twin cables (where did these come from?) which are connected to each other to form just two terminal connections.

The cables are grubby and it's difficult to see their colours, but I may be able to identify these by digging into the wall.

The bared wires are a bit frayed and thin. Could this be the problem, or does it relate to there not been a local switch anymore, or any other reason?

Sponsored Links
I still haven't resolved the problem of a wall light not switching on!

Recap: I have 2 wall lights controlled by one switch. Having replaced the old lights the light furthest away will now not switch on, unlike the first one.

The first light has normal earth, neutral and live wires. The second light has an earth wire, and two separate twin wires (all the same colour). I have no idea where this wiring connects up to the first light but presumably via a junction box in the ceiling.

I have joined together the 2 live wires from each of the twins, and the same for the 2 neutral wires, but the light still will not come on. One of the terminals on the lamp holder sparks when I test it with an electric screwdriver - is that normal? I thought only the light in the screwdriver would glow?

Can anyone shed light (unintentional pun) on this problem?

I have joined together the 2 live wires from each of the twins, and the same for the 2 neutral wires, but the light still will not come on. One of the terminals on the lamp holder sparks when I test it with an electric screwdriver - is that normal? I thought only the light in the screwdriver would glow?
:eek: No you will as well if you continue to use this death trap.

So are you saying that you have live and neutral at the first lamp or is it live and switch live?

Normally the first lamp would have two T&E cables - one with the power into the lamp and the other looped out to the second lamp.
If both live and neutral are present and red = live and black = neutral then you would need to loop in and out of the Live terminal on this lamp, the same for neutral and earth - across to the second lamp.
However if you have a live and switch live then you need to adopt a different approach.

Sponsored Links
Hi - It's Sunday morning and I've only just had an opportunity to switch off the power.

At the 2 gang switch a neutral (black) goes to L1 and its companion live (red) goes to L2, both at the top of the switch. I think this is for the wall light.

The live (red) from the second cable goes to Common, at the top, from where it is also joined to Common at the bottom with a link. Its companion neutral (black) goes to L2 at the bottom. I don't know which is for the wall lights and which is for the stairs 2-way switch. The metal box is earthed.

The first light, which works ok, has in and out live, neutral and earth wires and was very simple to connect up.

The second, non-working, wall light has an earth and two separate parallel twin flexes (What is the point of that?) When I first opened up the connection the wires were joined up with black tape and it all looked a bit homespun. Presumably, had the wiring being just the black and red it would have as easy to connect up as the first light?

I'm very pleased, Riveralt, that you are here to help because you are clearly an expert!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back