Unusual lighting circuit - adding wall lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently I have a one gang switch and a ceiling light in my dining room.

I wish to add wall lights and install a 2 gang switch to control ceiling and wall lights independently.

When I have investigated the wiring to take a link from the ceiling rose, I found the ceiling light is chocolate blocked a cable that runs to the light switch.
At the light switch, there a 3 cables. One to the ceiling light, and I’m guessing, one from the consumer unit and one going to the next room.

Can I add a 2 gang socket, take a live feed from the mains to the 2nd switch and run the wall lights from the switch?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
As long as there are neutrals at this switch - which it sounds like from your description (they will be in a block seperate to the switch), you can do as you say.

The easiest way to do it will be to re-wire one of the new switches like the old one, then take a link from the terminal with 2 cores in (this will be perm. live) to the other switch's COM. Then connect your light's live to L1 of the second switch. Bobs your uncle. ;) Oh, and neutral goes with the other neutrals.

Thanks Very much!

That's exactly how I hoped to do it.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back