Adding Wall Lights

Hi guys, well i found spaghetti junction and certainly dont fancy connecting into that,
What you should probably do is to tidy that up so that you can use it. It's photo time...

however I did come accross a 13amp fused connection unit in the very near vacinity, would it be plausable to run a live, nuetral and earth from this to the 3-way gang switch for each pair of wall lights?
Yes/no, see below.

If so would i also use the 2 live that are already there for the ceiling rose?
You'd have to - the permanent live comes from the lighting circuit, if you replace it with one from a socket circuit the lights would have L&N from different circuits, and that's a no-no. And will trip the RCD for the sockets, if there is one.

would this work and is it within regs?
Yes, and not really.

Think about it. Imagine you'd just moved in, and the previous occupant had done what you suggest. You decide to replace the light switch, so you turn off the power for the lighting circuit, unscrew the switch, and oh dear, there are still live wires in there because they aren't on the lighting circuit. This would be a Bad Thing™.

You can do it if you can label the switch to warn of the need to isolate more than one circuit in a way that the warning is seen before any access to potentially live parts is gained, but that's not really possible in a domestic environment unless you use a grid switch. Or you don't mind the warning notice on display.

Better, as I said, to sort out your spaghetti junction and put the wall lights on the lighting circuit, so lets see what it likes and maybe some suggestions can be made.

Sponsored Links
however I did come accross a 13amp fused connection unit in the very near vacinity, would it be plausable to run a live, nuetral and earth from this to the 3-way gang switch for each pair of wall lights?

Ahh no. To run the sockets the fuse in the FCU will be 13A.
For lighting you would use a 3A fuse. So, its time for the spaghetti western! Post a pic, they aren't as bad as they look!

Ok point taken.....very foolish of me.....back to the junction it is...thanks for the advice very much appreciated

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back