bedroom wall lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i've got 2 wall lights(with inbuilt on/off switch) to wire up
currently the lighting is supplied by a single ceiling rose with wall & pull cord switching

is the best power supply option via twin cables routed back to a new loft junction box,which breaks into the existing light circuit,midway between the 2 adjacent bedrooms ceiling roses
will the switching in either bedroom affect the wall light operation

best regards

Sponsored Links
Either bedroom?

Why do you want to break into the feed between roses?

Do you just want two wall lights to replace the rose and be switched in the same manner?

Then take a switched feed from the junction box you will place in the loft to replace the rose you remove, and run it to the wall lights.

See reference for wiring diagrams.

apologies didn't make it clear

i wish to maintain the existing ceiling rose light & switching units
i'm looking for the easiest/safest feed supply to the new wall units

regards

Do you want them to go on and off in conjunction with the ceiling light?

Do you want to turn them on and off with their own switches, or from the switch by the bedroom doors?

Sponsored Links
ban-all-sheds,thanks for your response

wall lights will operate independant of main ceiling light/wall & pullchord switches

given 2 x 13amp sockets either side of the bed,could this give me another cable route option

please advise

yes you can tap into the lighting cuircuit between two existing points make sure you tap the right cable though (don't tap into a switch cable that has only live and switched live).

alternatively if you wan't to come of the sockets this is fine too provided they are not spurs. In this case use 2.5mm from the socket to an unswitched FCU fitted with a 3A fuse.

from the FCU or lighting cuircuit to the wall lights even the smallest normally availible size (1.0mm) is fine however larger sizes are fine too provided you have enough room to connect them up.

many thanks plugwash for your response
don't fancy the idea of additional wall boxes - will opt for tapping into the light circuit,less mess

regards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back