Loft light please please help me

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right here goes....I am after having the 2 bulbs in the loft on a switch, they are currently turned on by plugging the flex into a wall socket in a bedroom.
There are 4 light roses in the loft from the bedrooms below.
Here is what I have done so far:
(All earth cables connected everywhere)
From the pull cord switch I have connected blue to L1 and brown to Com.

In loft light rose: Blue from switch connected into the two terminal block.
Brown from switch cable connected into the 3 terminal block.
The other 3 terminal block in rose is empty.

I have put in a junction box into the cable that runs between bedroom 1 and bedroom 2.
When i turn the power on the loft light is on, all the upstairs light work too.....but when I pull the cord on the switch in the loft it trips the upstairs lights.
Please help.......not much more hair to pull out!!!!!!
:?:

Sponsored Links
Could you explain this better.
Why is there a junction box between 1&2 bedrooms?
Where have you taken the feed for the loft lights from?

I used a junction box as was advised to rather than wire into a rose.
The feed i think is from the junction box.
If there is an easier way im up for that cheers

If you have taken the feed from the lighting circuit in the rooms below the loft
There a few different methods you can make this work.
You can loop the feed from the lighting circuit to one of your loft light fittings then drop a cable to the pull cord switch to operate the light.
This would mean the live feed(brown) would go to the central loop in the rose.
The neutral feed(blue) would go to the neutral side of the fitting(blue flex of lamp).
Then the cable going to your switch where com is brown and L1 is blue(this should be marked up with a brown sleeve as it is a line conductor)
Would be terminated at the ceiling rose with the brown conductor at the central live loop and the blue conductor with brown sleeve at the live side of the ceiling rose(brown flex of lamp)

You could take the feed directly to the switch from your lighting circuit and have a second cable coming from the loft light to the switch, then connect the incoming live(brown) to com the live to the light (brown) to L1 and join the neutrals (blues) in a spare/separate connection block.

All earth connected together at the earth terminals

The feed from your light circuit (rooms below) would be live(brown) from central loop and neutral from neutral/blue side of ceiling rose.
Earth from earth

Is that clear?

You can take the feed from the junction box as an alternative to a room below rose/fitting, providing the JB is accessible for inspection and testing.

Sponsored Links
From the pull cord switch I have connected blue to L1 and brown to Com.

If these are the brown and blue of the feed when you operate the switch you are putting a direct short on the lighting circuit!!

Cut the brown core at the switch connect brown from the new junction box to L1, brown to the lights to COM.

Do NOT connect the blue to ANY of the switch terminals but join them together in a chocolate block connector.

Perhaps you should have taken the time to look at the Wiki on here to actually find out how to wire a light before starting

Success all working perfectly.
Thankyou all for your valued advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back