Installing light in loft!!!!!!!!!!! Whats gone wrong?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have read a few explanations on this topic and they aren't that good.

Ok. I know the basics.

I have a 36w tube baton secured to the horizontal rafter. It works a treat. Lights the whole loft up. However the switch I have linked it to when switched to 'on' trips the upstairs trip switch so I have wired it up wrong BUT according to what I have read.
Right, the circuit I am taking the supply off is the landing ceiling rose which has 3 cables and 3 terminals. The middle are 3 reds, one outer terminal is 2 blacks with a blue wire to the lamps and the other outer is black with a red band around it with a brown wire going to lamp.

The switch I have is fitted with a terminal block with COM, L1 and L2.

I have connected the cable from my new loft light to the switch. Brown into L1, Blue into L2. Earth in its sole terminal on switch.

I have connected second cable from landing rose. The brown to the 3 reds (loop in) and the Blue to the outer black terminal. The Earth is connected with the others in the rose.
The other end of this cable is connected to loft switch. Brown is into the COM, the Blue with the other Blue in L2 and the Earth in with the other earth wire.

The switch is in the OFF position. When I put the power back on the new tube loft light comes on. When I switch the new switch to ON the circuit trips. So what am I doing wrong? Pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaase help ASAP!

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I have read a few explanations on this topic and they aren't that good.

Ok. I know the basics.

I have a 36w tube baton secured to the horizontal rafter. It works a treat. Lights the whole loft up. However the switch I have linked it to when switched to 'on' trips the upstairs trip switch so I have wired it up wrong BUT according to what I have read.
Right, the circuit I am taking the supply off is the landing ceiling rose which has 3 cables and 3 terminals. The middle are 3 reds, one outer terminal is 2 blacks with a blue wire to the lamps and the other outer is black with a red band around it with a brown wire going to lamp.

The switch I have is fitted with a terminal block with COM, L1 and L2.

I have connected the cable from my new loft light to the switch. Brown into L1, Blue into L2. Earth in its sole terminal on switch.

I have connected second cable from landing rose. The brown to the 3 reds (loop in) and the Blue to the outer black terminal. The Earth is connected with the others in the rose.
The other end of this cable is connected to loft switch. Brown is into the COM, the Blue with the other Blue in L2 and the Earth in with the other earth wire.

The switch is in the OFF position. When I put the power back on the new tub loft light comes on. When I switch the new switch to ON the circuit trips. So what am I doing wrong? Pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaase help ASAP!

Thanks.

Hi,

like most other people on here, will sugest you seek the advice of an electrician, because you have wired it up incorrectly, and theres always a risk of causing serious injury or burning your house down... there is no neutral terminal on a light switch plate.

in 1 way switching, you dont need to use L2, L2 stands for Live 2, and L1 stands for Live 1... L2 is normally used for 2 way switching.

the idea is, you have a live feed, if this terminates at the light fitting, the Live wire connects to another cable that goes down to the light switch, then comes out the other side of the light switch as another live wire, if your using twin and earth for the light switch cable, sleave the blue wire brown both ends to denote there is no neutral on this wire only 2 lives.. 1 entering the switch from the light fitting, and 1 exiting it and running back to the light fitting, where it goes into the live terminal.

The blue wire, neutral can be connected straight to the light fitting... if you are doing the connections inside the light fitting.

if your terminating the live feed inside the light switch, then the live wire, brown from the ceiling rose can go straight into one of the live terminals, then bring another cable out to the light fitting, and join the 2 blue wires together instead, saves sleaving it then.

Feed wire from ceiling rose terminating inside light fitting.

untitled-2.jpg

Feed wire from ceiling rose terminating behind light switch.

2-1.jpg

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. Are you saying I have ONLY wired up the 2 blues into L2 of the switch and the others are correct?
If so, then what would be correct? I thought L2 would have to be left alone? Then where would the brown wire (cable feed from tube loft light) go?

I will take a longer look at the replies I have received later but can you see what I have done correct and incorrect? Thank you.

I thought L2 would have to be left alone?
Yes it does but you didn't.
Then where would the brown wire (cable feed from tube loft light) go?
You have obviously not read your original question clearly enough.

You must remove the two blues from the switch and connect them together separately (not connected to anything else).

Then look here //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=37582[/QUOTE]
And study.

take the 2 blues out of L2 and put into a connector block and put brown from feed into com and brown to light into L1. ensure earths are sleeved and in correct terminal on back of box or if switch is metal connected to switch earth terminal

Thanks again. I appreciate your answers.
Forgive me for being impatient regarding reading all the links etc.
So the 2 blue wires going into the loft switch must be joined together? Hmmm
Well they were in L2 but that is LIVE2 so leave that alone.
How do you suppose I join them together in such a tiny space?

read my answer, it clearly says use a connector block
a switch switches between com and L1 and com and L2 so you caused a direct short by using L2 for neutrals

Hey guys, thank you so much for your input. I have successfully installed a tube light in my loft and it lights up the whole loft. I have done a good job its just been 27 yrs since I did an electrical course in college.
This forum is damn useful and saved me money getting an electrician :)

I will be back though as I want to run a spur from the loft and behind the plasterboard of my bedroom as well as my spare bedroom for an LCD tv :)

Any help greatly appreciated :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back