installing a timed fan - help!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

please help me!!!!

i am installing a fan with timer in a cloakroom - well trying to!

exsisting electrics - pull cord swith which is connected to 2 downlights
3 amp double pole fused spur - connected to a sani flow

the light pull cord is wired as follows
supply - a brown wire is connected to the pull cord and a blue wire is connected to another blue wire which is connected to the light rose. a further brown wire is also connected to the pull cord from the light rose creating some sort of circuit i presume!

can i use the same fused spur that is used by the sani flow and how do i wire all this up? all the wires in use are brown and blue and yellow. the terminal on the fan has 1 blue, 2 yellow - live switch, 3-brown - permanent live.

please please please advise

Sponsored Links
I am assuming you mean yellow/green not yellow. Twin and earth under new colouring is brown (live) blue (neutral) and yellow/green (earth)

2 yellow - live switch
Are you saying the yellow is live? I hope not.

Timer fans have to be wired using 3 core and earth and normally would be connected to your lighting circuit. 3 core and earth these days is brown black and grey witha copper earth. The fan would also require it's own isolator switch.

How would you get the fan to work from the light switch using the power for the saniflow?

Or am I misunderstanding what you are trying to say?

If I am not I suggest you get an electrician to have a look at it. Besides, the bathroom is a restricted zone covered by Part P of the building regs and should not be touched by a non qualified person unless under supervision.

if the fans manual says yellow is switched live then yellow is switched live. its only green/yellow that is reserved for earth in equipment design both plain green and plain yellow can be used for other things (in fixed wiring in the uk green can't be but in equipment i'm pretty sure it can).

you need to use "3 and earth" cable to get the supply from the switch (which in your setup is the point where you have all 3 of unswitched live switched live and neural), assuming you use new colored "3 and earth" you will have a brown a black and a grey. Use the brown for the permanent live the grey for neutral and the black for switched live (yes i think this convention is retarded but who can argue with the electromafia). Remember to use brown and blue sleeving or tape to mark the black core as a live and the grey core as a neutral.

edit: dispite the cr*p in the above post he did catch one thing i missed. A 3 pole fan isolator should be used between the feed from the lightswitch and the fan.

Desie said:
Besides, the bathroom
I din't think cloakrooms are regarded as special locations??? It's only a special location (bathroom) if it contains a bath or shower isn't it? :confused:

Sponsored Links
thanks for the replies! i understand about using the 3core cable etc but dont know how to wire it up (which wires go where) !

i have a pull cord switch which when pulled turns on 2 down lights. the pull switch is powered by a cable which runs from a fuse box. it has a brown/blue/copper content. the brown goes to the pull switch. the blue is connected to the blue cable from the lights and the brown from the lights is connected to the pull switch. the second d/light is connected from the first. i have fitted the fan in the ceiling but do not know how to wire it up. which wire goes to where? where do i start? do i get the power from the feed to the light pull switch? if so is that the 'permanent live' and if so where do the cables for the 'switched live' and the 'neutral go to after i have connected them to the fan

i mentioned i have a sani flow at floor level which has a fused spur sited next to it. the instructions say a double pole fused spur must be used - can i share the fused spur the sani is using? i can access this spur through a stud wall so could i use it as a spur for the fan?

thanks again for your help

I wouldn't bother with the supply to the sani at all.
So the blue (neutral) wires in the switch are jointed together, brown supply to C, brown switch live to L1, earths together into the earth block? If so you can run the 3C+E from here, connect the grey to the neutrals (sleeve the grey core blue), the brown to C (permanent live) and the Black to L1 (switched live, sleeve brown). Connect the earth to the earth block, all your earths need to be sleeved green+yellow stripe.
Run the 3core + earth to the fan via an 3pole isolator. In the isolator you need to connect the 3 wires sleeved correctly of the incoming cable to one side and the outgoing wires to the other, connect earths in gn/y sleeve together to the earth terminal. At the fan the Brown connects to L, the Black sleeved brown connects to switched live marked Ls or Lt or similar, the grey sleeved blue connects to the N. The earth wire sleeved gn/y connects to the earth terminal or into a piece of chock block if it is not required (it will tell you somewhere in the instructions Double insulated or Class 2 if it isn't required). This is to save it for future use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back