Tripple pole pull cord switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I need to replace a pull cord switch in my static caravan, it operates the extractor fan and a single light in the shower cubicle. The fan does not have a timer on it and just switches on and off with the pull cord. I have been told by the manufacturer of the van that I need a tripple pole switch. Having looked at the switch which incidentley is round and not square like the ones I have come across ther are 5 lots of wires to it and are connected as follows:-

L in - 2 brown wires
Earth - 5 green and yellow wires
N in - 2 blue wires
Load N - 2 blue wires
Load L - 2 brown wires

The exsisting switch looks just like any bathroom pull cord switch but with more connections. I have looked everywhere to get one but failed, I can only get a square one which I don't really want. Can any one help?

Vaughan

Sponsored Links
You do not NEED a triple-pole switch for your arrangement (i.e. if the fan does not have a timer).

It is likely that whoever has told you this has heard/read that a TP switch is required for a bathroom fan (with timer) which is correct therefore, from here forward that is all he will now think - no matter what is involved.

Are you having any rewiring done?
You seem to have two separate circuits operated by one switch.

You seem to have two separate circuits operated by one switch.
As the OP said...
switch ..... it operates the extractor fan and a single light in the shower cubicle. The fan ... just switches on and off with the pull cord.
The switch appears to have been 'looped in' to the supply. What I'm not sure about is where the 5th of the G/Ys comes from and (possibly related question), what is the 5th of the '5 lots of wires' - maybe a G/Y single, perhaps supplementary bonding?

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
As the OP said...
switch ..... it operates the extractor fan and a single light in the shower cubicle. The fan ... just switches on and off with the pull cord.
Yes, but he has two feeds to the switch.
What I'm not sure about is where the 5th of the G/Ys comes from and (possibly related question), what is the 5th of the '5 lots of wires' - maybe a G/Y single, perhaps supplementary bonding?
Could be bonding.

One of the feeds should be removed. They may even come from different fuses/breakers.

Yes, but he has two feeds to the switch.
Indeed, but you edited out the bit of my post which said:
The switch appears to have been 'looped in' to the supply.
What I'm not sure about is where the 5th of the G/Ys comes from and (possibly related question), what is the 5th of the '5 lots of wires' - maybe a G/Y single, perhaps supplementary bonding?
Could be bonding.
Quite, as I suggested.

One of the feeds should be removed. They may even come from different fuses/breakers.
See above. If they are both 'feeds', then you're obviously right - but isn't it far more likely that this is simply 'loop-in' (i.e.'radial') wiring on the lighting circuit?

Kind Regards, John.

Could be bonding.
Quite, as I suggested.
Yes, I was agreeing with you. (emphasis on 'Could')

but isn't it far more likely that this is simply 'loop-in' (i.e.'radial') wiring on the lighting circuit?
Oh yes, very likely. Sorry, my mistake.

I don't understand the problem here. We've been told the pull cord operates the light and the fan.

There are two cables feeding the switch.

On the load side there is a fan cable and a light cable.

You simply copy the existing wiring. If one of the five earth wires appears thicker this is probably supplementary bonding.

You have a double pole switch there, and you need a new double pole switch.

Double pole USUALLY means live and neutral. Earth is never switched.

Triple pole USUALLY means live, switched live and neutral. Earth is never switched. You do not have this arrangement. Triple pole also can refer to three phase as well.

Crabtree do a 16 amp double pole pull cord which is round. It looks similar to a regular light pull switch. It's available with or without neon indicator.

Don't mix up the wires.

I don't understand the problem here. We've been told the pull cord operates the light and the fan.

The problem is that the OP has been told by a 'jobsworth' caravan manufacturer that he MUST have TP switch - even though it is not necessary.

The problem is that the OP has been told by a 'jobsworth' caravan manufacturer that he MUST have TP switch - even though it is not necessary.

I mean I don't understand all this waffle about the quantity of the number of wires at the switch, particularly as the op has indicated where they go.

From the wiring description, it would appear the 'jobsworth' needs correcting.

I mean I don't understand all this waffle about the quantity of the number of wires at the switch, particularly as the op has indicated where they go.
That would be my fault for initially not realising that it could simply be the lighting loop at the pull switch.

Thanks for all your replies. So it looks like I need a double pole switch and I presume that a DP switch will have the correct number of terminals for me to connect the 5 lots of wires.

Vaughan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back