need Help with bathroom pull cord

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:( :(
Please can anyone help me with the recently purchased Dimpull switch cord to replace existing light pull cord in my bathroom.
Unfortunately I cannot get the light to work.
The light switch has a red wire & black wire. The Dimpull switch has 4 terminal options marked "(In) L & N", & opposite 2 connections "(Load) N & I think is fan?(has an arrow & line with a squiggly line threw it)".
Please if can you can understand me, can you explain how I should wire new Dimpull dimmer cord.

I did try wiring Red to L (in )& Black to Fan ? (load), but when switch light on I get a buzzing sound.
Is this correct & if so is it normal to get slight buzzing sound from this pull cord dimmer switch ????

Sponsored Links
Much more important than the buzzing, does the light do what you expect, and does the fan do what you expect?
If not what does it do, and what should it do according to the makers?
As an aside many designs of dimmer buzz a bit, particularly on full load - its just the magnetostriction of the windings of the RFI suppression coils.
Glooping varnish or araldite over the coils sometimes helps quieten them down a bit - if you can get it to soak in.

It sounds like you've wired it in the only way that could possibly work. It's a double pole switch whereas you have only two wires: live feed in and switched live out. So why won't it work?

One possibility is that the thing needs a connection to neutral which you don't have. If this is the case there's no easy solution.

The other possibility is that your bathroom light is not suitable for dimming, at least not with that dimmer. What have you got in there? Low energy (compact fluorescent) bulbs don't dim easily and neither do low voltage halogens on a transformer. If you've got a low energy bulb try a standard filament bulb instead.

Sponsored Links
books said:
The Dimpull switch has 4 terminal options marked "(In) L & N", & opposite 2 connections "(Load) N & I think is fan?(has an arrow & line with a squiggly line threw it)".
Hang on - are you now saying that all the distractions we went through over the "fan" connection were not because the back of the switch has a terminal labelled "fan", but because you decided, for no reason whatsoever, that the standard symbol for the output of a dimmer switch must mean "fan"???

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back