Dimpull cord

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:cry: Please can anyone help me with the recently purchased Dimpull switch cord to replace existing light pull cord in my bathroom. This was because it was much quiter when in use.
Unfortunately I cannot get the light to work.
The light has a red wire & black wire. The Dimpull switch has 4 terminal options marked "In N & L", & opposite "Load N & fan?".
Please if can understand can you explain how I should wire new Dimpull dimmer cord.

Sponsored Links
at a guess: red to L and black to fan

please note 7 your email address has been removed

Is the 'dim pull' really a fan motor speed controller in disguise?
what do the instructions say?

Do you mean there are only 2 wires at the switch, or at the light?
you probably have no neutral at the light, but a red live in, and black, live switched out . If it is an electronic switch it may need the neutral - if mechanical it will be safe to leave the neutral pole disconnected.

The dimpull website says it's OK to use with a fan, which would imply a dimmed output for the light and a simple switched output for the fan.

But that does not fit in with the description of the legends given by books.

However - did it not come with any instructions??

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Your switch sounds like it has the following configuration...

L & N in should be permanent live and neutral feed from the lighting circuit.

Load & N out should be neutral for the light and fan and the light live

fan should be the fan live.

Your existing config sounds like a loop, i.e. your switch wires are simply live feed and then a return to the light for the live.

You will need to find the permanent live and neutral, either ceiling rose or JB in the loft. and bring them to the switch point (at least it's in the ceiling so no chasing out of walls.

Hope this helps....

I have one of these fitted in my bathroom. If I remember correctly the Neutral connections do no need to be wired, they're just there for convenience if you want them.
I have a timed fan and this controls the switched live of the fan with the lights. This arrangement works fine.

tim_h said:
I have one of these fitted in my bathroom. If I remember correctly the Neutral connections do no need to be wired, they're just there for convenience if you want them.
I have a timed fan and this controls the switched live of the fan with the lights. This arrangement works fine.

Thanks I think I have solved the problem, but can you Please tell me if you suffer from a slight Buzzing noise from the Dimpull switch??

Can anyone tell me if there Dimpull switch has a slight Buzzing noise when switched on ???

It's silent. Just make sure you don't overload it, my first one melted and it was only overloaded by 60watts! :rolleyes:

books said:
Can anyone tell me if there Dimpull switch has a slight Buzzing noise when switched on ???

:(
I have connected A "Dimpull" (dimmer) switch cord in my bathroom where my existing pull cord switch is, but I am getting a Buzzing noise when I switch the light on. Is this normal ????

I've added numbers to what you wrote:
ibruceuk said:
Hi,

Your switch sounds like it has the following configuration...

(1)L & (2)N in should be permanent live and neutral feed from the lighting circuit.

(3)Load & (4)N out should be neutral for the light and fan and the light live

(5)fan should be the fan live.
Well that would make perfect sense, and it's what you'd expect to need, as you wouldn't want to "dim" a fan.

There's only one snag:
books said:
The Dimpull switch has 4 terminal options marked "In N & L", & opposite "Load N & fan?".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back