A few pictures from my phone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was just going through my phone and I've got loads of pics I must upload.

Here's a few for your enjoyment.

DNO supply with fused neutral
9b0a244e.jpg

Max demand meters. Anyone remeber them?
4358d5e1.jpg

On a 100A supply
27954be7.jpg

Busbar chamber trunking
6517f8f8.jpg

be254705.jpg

"We've just had a brand new 17th edition board fitted"
76bb09ce.jpg

This was still spitting out sparks on a farm when I got there.
07ece918.jpg

Intresting way of upgrading a cast iron cutout
c5019ee2.jpg

Click sockets
cb894b71.jpg

7823f423.jpg

Church wiring done by a DI
25e609ce.jpg

That's better
dd061db8.jpg

Ring final in a pub cellar supplying the post mix chiller
7a40ecd6.jpg

SWL for step ladders?
56adaf28.jpg

Sponsored Links
Have you not heard of busbar trunking before? ;) :LOL:

Looks like asbestos flash pads in the DP fused cutout.
And first glance can't see whats up with 17th ed board, its a bit messy, but other than that :?:

Got loads more on my phone if I can ever be bothered to post!

Not very well marked up... or are you saying it was actually reversed?

Though the use of white tape to denote a phase conductor does predate the board by a good few decades :p

Often see the use of blue or yellow tape to identify the live on pre-harmonised lighting wiring, while not strictly right at least the installer bothed to mark it at all!

Sponsored Links
Not very well marked up... or are you saying it was actually reversed? .... Often see the use of blue or yellow tape to identify the live on pre-harmonised lighting wiring, while not strictly right at least the installer bothed to mark it at all!
As I've noted before, an alternative approach is that taken by my DNO - to strip back the sheathing a bit too much so as to show the red insulation being used to identify the incoming neutral :)

Kind Regards, John.

Didn't know max demand amp meters existed. Interesting.
I wonder if any of the modern electronic meters being fitted by suppliers have the ability to report maximum demand? - it would presumably be electronically trivial for them to have such functionality.

Kind Regards, John

All modern (and old!) poly-phase meters record max-demand, it is often printed on your bills, especially if you exceed your agreed capacity. You will often recieve a monthly penalty fine based on this.

Quite often hit the button on the meter to check the max demand, and the last reset of the meter when quoting for jobs where you intend to add significant loads.

The old meters like RF's where often accompanied by a similar PF meter too.

Many do John if you're an industrial customer, especially if you're on 'half-hour metering'.
Thanks. That's what I would have expected, given that, as I said, it is presumably very easy to implement.

Kind Regards, John.

All modern (and old!) poly-phase meters record max-demand, it is often printed on your bills, especially if you exceed your agreed capacity. You will often recieve a monthly penalty fine based on this. Quite often hit the button on the meter to check the max demand, and the last reset of the meter when quoting for jobs where you intend to add significant loads.
When you talk of "all modern (and old!) poly-phase meters", I presume that you're refering to industrial installations? My meter certainly doesn't seem to have any such facility.

How did that work with 'old' meters (like mine, albeit only a few years old) which didn't have digital display screens (and which, I presume, don't 'record' anything)? - was there some sort of additional indicator of maximum demand?

Kind Regards, John.

There's no fusing down between the ring and the appliance it is supplying.

What's wrong with the rcd?
No front to enclosure? :) No strain relief for outgoing cable (maybe also incoming)? Possible IP issue at bottom of enclosure (even when it's front is on)? Ougoing cable looks undersized to be adequately protected by the RFC OPD?

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back