A few questions about skimming....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1. Looking at getting some walls professionally skimmed and wondering do I need to remove any of the following to get a perfect finish:
a) Tiny scraps of wall paper
b) Bits of mortar from internal decorative brick work
c) The pale stuff that's left all over after wallpaper's removed-old adhesive?

2. How should I/a plasterer fill and smooth over holes like in the photo ready for skimming?
//media.diynot.com/60000_59670_10443_93001358_thumb.jpg

3. What should I/a plasterer do about the holes plaster that's fallen off between surface cracks like in the photo so it's ready for skimming? And if there's more ready to fall off should we pull it off in preparation?
//media.diynot.com/60000_59670_10444_66517687_thumb.jpg

4. Would skimming/similar also fill the circular holes that are left when a stubborn nail's been taken out of the wall and taken some plaster with it?

Thanks in advance!!

Sponsored Links
It would be of benefit to you to prepare the wall by removing all the debris from the old wallpaper/adhesive etc. Give the wall/s a good wash down with hot water etc, and scrape off all the old bits and pieces, glue, etc in preparation..

As regards to you patching the holes and cracks in the existing plaster ready for plastering,, "don't"!!, leave that to your plasterer. Point out the cracks/holes, loose bits etc to him to let him know you're aware of them, but leave it to him, it's part of his job. He would prefer to do it himself anyway,,, i know i would. Your main concern as mentioned earlier, is to clean the walls off ready for the plasterer.

Roughcaster.

Thanks Roughcaster - I expected it about the mortar and paper but am surprised about the adhesive, although to be honest, I am not sure it is adhesive. I've uploaded a photo and would welcome your view...the dark patches are pink plaster, everything else is pale - do you think it is adhesive or something else? Maybe paint?? It's very smooth!

Thanks for your help!!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for putting up the pic Caz, it will help others give an opinion too. I think it looks as though it's a mist coat/sealer of some kind. The darker pink areas look as though the wall has been slightly marked,, as with removing the paper. Hard to say. Brush some hot water over a small area,, say a couple of sq.ft, and see if it feels sticky to the touch, sand a small dry area too with a rough sand paper... I don't think it's adhesive though,,,, and i don't think it will be a problem for the plasterer to pva and skim over it either. Let us know how you get on. ;)

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back