A Gas or Electric fire in the lounge? and running costs?...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

My elderly Mum has just replaced her old Baxi Fire back boiler with a complete new system and condensing boiler in the airing cupboard. However the fire front on the old boiler is still in the lounge fireplace and working.

With the old Baxi system my Mum used to run the central heating for a few hours in the morning and evening, and the rest on the time keep the gas fire in the lounge on a low heat to keep the one room warm. Now this is essentially what she is also doing with the new system, continuing to run the gas fire rather than keep the radiators on for longer.

We were thinking of replacing the gas fire in the lounge since it’s 25+ years old, but were undecided whether to buy another gas or an electric fire to go in the hearth.

Given that the new fire will be switched on at a low setting for maybe 7 hours a day during the winter, would a modern electric fire be cheaper to run that gas?

Alternatively, since the new condensing boiler is so much more efficient that the old baxi boiler, would it cost less to leave the central heating on for longer and make less use of the fire?

Thanks for your advice
:)

Sponsored Links
I guess the gas one is always cheaper, if she is whole day in the same room, then it is really perfect for you to heat up one room instead of using central heating. I have a woodburning stove, love that real fire:) browse this site, i bought my stove here, lot of choices for good price really. [code:1]http://www.westcountryfires.co.uk/specials.php[/code:1]

Gas by far the cheaper , if you change the existing one it will require some building work or a surround as the hole to accomodate the back boiler is wider and higher than the standard opening for a standard fire.And old boiler and flue will need removing

Also your mum knows exactly how existing fire works ie what setting suits her so if she is happy with it save your money no point confusing her

gas 3or4p a kw 75-90% efficient electric 10-15p a kw 98-100% efficient
so 4 or5p gas 10-15 p electric

Sponsored Links
Don't forget to figure in the cost of removing the back boiler and flue liner into the equation. When you take into account the total cost it may be cheaper to go electric as a focal point and have the heating on for longer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back